1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Q question ... Really Dumb Q question

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I just did my firmware (v1.12) upgrade and, when changing my AF bit in the menu, I noticed Focus Peaking there. My really dumb question is, "has it always been there?"
    Confused in Vancouver :eek:
    Jack

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It was there since the firmware released around the same time as the Q10.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I can't find any reference to focus peaking in any of the Q reviews. There doesn't even seem to be any mention of it in the specs on the Pentax UK website.

Since, to me, focus peaking is one of the best new features introduced in cameras in the last 10 years, I do tend to notice when new models are announced that have it, and I don't remember anything about the Q having it.

Just seen Zou's reply - I can't see it mentioned in any Q10 reviews, or on Pentax UK's official specs either. I had a look at reviews of the K30, whick I know has it - had a play in my local camera shop - and half of them, and Pentax UK, don't mention it for that camera either.

I know marketing has not been Pentax's strongest point in recent years, but talk about hiding your lamp under a bushell...

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's a possibility that Pentax feared some Q owners wouldn't upgrade to Q10 if they revealed that peaking was in the firmware v1.10. Bit silly really.

It seems to work ok but the Sony peaking remains superior, offering three colours and three strengths. Neither is foolproof though.

5. AlexMonro

But they don't even mention it as a feature of the Q10 on their website! :confused:

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's on my Q, I use it all the time, and I've not upgraded the firmware since I bought it.

7. Done_rundleCams

That's interesting, Nick. OOC, what firmware do you have on your Q?

Cheers,

Jack

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Good question. Left it at work, I'll get back to you on Monday.

9. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Silly question - what's Focus Peaking?

10. AlexMonro

No such thing as a silly question, the only thing that's silly is not to ask and remaining ignorant! :)

It's an aid to manual focus, in some ways even better than the microprisms and split wedges that we used to have in MF film SLRs. The live view (or electronic viewfinder) image is processed to add contrasting colours around high contrast edges - usually showing the area of sharp focus. This makes it very easy to see where the zone of sharp focus lies - I think on most implementations the lens is stopped down to taking aperture so you get a clear representation of depth of field too.

The downside is that it can be a distraction to composition, so you need to be able to turn it on and off easily.

I definitely want it on my next digital camera - hopefully Pentax will implement it on the K5II replacement. It's already on the K30 (and several Ricohs, and the Q series, as the rest of this thread has revealed, despite Pentax's efforts to keep it secret! :))

I think the feature was first introduced by Sony on one of the NEX CSCs - possibly the NEX 7 or NEX 5.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was wrong - the camera was in my car. It's version 1.10.

Given I only use dodgy C mount CCTV lenses on it, I use focus peaking all the time. I must say that I'm not totally convinced by the method - on balance I think I prefer a higher resolution screen and greater magnification - but it's useful with the combo I use (typically the 25mm f1.4 lens).

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

13. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Thanks, that sounds really good, bit like an electronic version of a split-image screen.

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I've tried it, and to be honest, prefer to use the x4 mag. No distracting bright white bits, which I don't think work very well anyway.

15. Done_rundleCams

In your car, Nick, you definitely haven't been to Vancouver :eek:

OOC, is that a direct mount to the camera and what are the results like?

:D

Jack

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's a very simple adaptor that the lenses screw into.

Results are very toy lens, particularly at f1.4 - lots of diffuse glow, and not very sharp. Stopped down it improves quite a bit - but it's much less fun.

Must say I like the camera, and will get round at some point to buying a real lens or two for it - I bought it specifically for producing toy lens stuff as a spiritual successor for my Auto 110, and it does a great job at that, but I think it can do a lot more.

17. Done_rundleCams

Indeed you should Nick :) I'd recommend any of the following:

Prime Standard, or Wide Zoom and, of course, my fave, the 06 (tele zoom) lens :)

Cheers,

Jack