1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Boot and User accounts?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by downfader, May 12, 2007.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Second question, thought it beneficial to set up a second thread to avoid confusion.

I'm going to be running some software which I'm sure with cause me conflicts. Pro music software often doesnt seem to like my photo software and my dvd player, so I'd like to try and separate them, if you get me.

On my old pc I used partition magic and created a dual boot system. Before I try anything like that, is there any way I can set up user accounts so that one user ID has one set of programs and another ID another set, thus running I would presume, different registries?

Someone told me you can do this in XP Pro, but for the life of me I cant see how?

If I have to go the dual boot system whats a good peice of software that wont destroy hard drives and is reliable? Preferably fast and easy to set up also.

2. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

What sort of conflicts do you get?

Creating separate user accounts will give you separate user "hives" in the registry, this stores user specific settings like desktop icons, application preferences etc. However the system hives will still be shared so there's no guarantee it will fix your problems. It's simple enough to try, just add a user from the control panel.

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I always thought that the best way to create a dual boot system is to do it at the build stage rather than use software through windows. If that is the way that you want to go then by all means use partition magic as it has been reviewed as the best for the job.

I find it easier to use 2 seperate hard drives (C & D) with each drive having a seperate installation of windows.

I did one with for a customer with windows 98 on the c drive ( so he could play games that wont run on xp)and then installing xp on the d drive. You could do the same and run 2 installations of xp so that you can avoid these conflicts

4. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

I've been using a multi boot solution from HyperOS for several years. It involves using partition magic to divide your hard drive into several (I have 10, but they do versions with more now) bootable partitions. You can then install any mix of windows versions (98SE, 2K, XP etc) and even Linux to each partition. Each one is a completely separate system as though you had several different PC's but all on one machine. So you could run your imaging software on 1 and the music stuff on another.

It also offers 'drag and drop' back-up/restore of each partition which takes a few seconds - ideal if a new software installation crashes the PC or it's caught a virus from the 'net.

The downside - 10 systems is a lot, but the I wanted to have a PC for each family member plus one for graphics, one for gaming etc. Thought it was a goog idea at the time but its a real chore installing any software/upgrades common to all the systems /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I feel like an IT manager sometimes. My PC is due for a rebuild/revamp now so I'm planning to keep HyperOS for its many benifits but cut the number of partitions/systems down to just a couple. :)

* Edit * Just been reading about all the latest HyperOS software myself and it looks a lot more user friendly now than my old 2004 version - I think I'll be upgrading HyperOS too!

5. downfader

Not entirely sure what the conflicts are technically (I'm very limited PC knowledge wise, I would say - depsite building this system myself, lol). What I had happen was when I ran Ableton Live 6 alongside the adobe elements gear everything seemed to slow, sometimes crashes occured. Uninstalling Ableton seemed to sort it.

Ideally I have always liked to limit a system where anything intensive (running audio pluggins and mixing live audio in the PC is quite intensive) is going on as things seemed to run smoother. The people I know who just run pro audio software dont seem to have this problem.

Last time I had a dual boot it was on an old win98se system (custom built for me 10 years ago lol!) and I used partition magic.

Cheers for the reply! :D

6. downfader

Cheers for the reply Gordon! :)

I have 2 hard disks, one for data and one for the system. Sounds like Partition magic is the way to go then. :D

7. downfader

Hey chris! Hmm tbh I'll only be running 3 systems at most. Never heard of HyperOS, will look into that before i decide on the partiton magic... :)

EDIT sorry for the separate replies, it seemed easier that was. :eek: