1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dslr v csc

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Grierson, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I would suggest price for price, the better DSLR's and CSC's both produce equally good quality results.
    However each does has its own advantages and handling and viewing qualities.

There is also no doubt at all that these difference are "narrowing" even if they will never be entirely eliminated. We have now reached the stage where a serious photographer needs to debate with himself, which will suit him better.

It will take time for a full gamut of CSC lenses and supporting equipment to be produced. But some manufacturers are getting there at an extremely rapid rate. The lenses in particular are tending to be at a quality that gives plenty of margin for improvements to sensors. Which can not be said for many equivalent DSLR, designs.

Of course this question need not be an either or one. It has always been true that a photographer should use the appropriate tools. There was little debate in the past, when a professional chose between large, medium and miniature format cameras.
    Today that choice is often between DSLR and CSC.
    If you do not have both in you armoury, you can not chose the most appropriate.

2. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

In my experience, it isn't so much the size of the body which matters but the size and weight of the longer lenses.

I regularly use Panny's 100-300mm lens on an m4/3 camera and can fit the lens into a modest-sized patch pocket. The equivalent 600mm on a FF DSLR is anything but pocketable, and probably difficult to use hand held.

In one very small camera bag, I can carry a GX7 + 3 x m4/3 lenses which take me from 28mm to 600mm (equiv) and which can accompany me wherever I go, even slung over my shoulder on a motorbike, with no real effort whatsoever.

Regards, Mike