1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR or Mirrorless

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by medavidcook, Nov 7, 2017.

1. medavidcook

medavidcook Well-Known Member

hey all,

looking for some thoughts,

I currently have a Canon DSLR EOS 1000D that I am looking at upgrading, i am stuck between whether to go Mirrorless or stick with DSLR.

Been looking at the Sony A6300 mirrorless, anyone have any thoughts on whether to stay DSLR or switch.

Also anyone recommend any good DSLR budget about £800-900

thanks

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There are few cameras that are not good now.

Whether you go mirrorless depends on various factors, such as, what are the main subjects that you photograph and also whether you can work with an electronic viewfinder?

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

How much Canon kit have you got? It's one thing trading in a single camera and lens for a different system but if you have several lenses it gets expensive.

If you stay with Canon you could have the 77D for around £750 body only or the 80D at just over your budget (about £950), you could even go mirrorless Canon with the M5 at about £900 - though you would need a lens or the EF/EF-s adapter (so you could use your existing glass).

Before parting with cash I'd certainly suggest having a look at a variety of different models and see whether you can live with an electronic finder. Early ones were a bit crude though the latest models are supposed to be far better. Personally I'd not bother with any that lack an integral viewfinder. Composing on the rear screen is OK for compacts but I'm less convinced it's a good idea when image quality is important.

The fact that you seem unsure whether to remain with a DSLR or switch suggests that you haven't managed to convince yourself of the need. Why do you think you should switch, what do think may be the advantages?...

FWIW I do have a pair of CSC cameras, both Lumix, and while they can do the job and have the advantage of being relatively small I do find them tricky to use - not least because I find I keep accidentally tripping various buttons when trying to use them, there doesn't seem enough camera to get hold of that doesn't have a button on it...:rolleyes:

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have Fuji and find the biggest problem is that the exposure compensation dial tends to catch against camera bags and turn on insertion or removal. They are excellent little cameras in every other respect though.

5. medavidcook

I have the kit lense which was the 18-55mm and i got a 55-250mm lense, that is it, so not a great deal. I am not really convinced I am better with a mirrorless,

6. medavidcook

I mainly shoot street and wildlife thats about it.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Have you considered a bridge camera? Some of the new designs are capable of producing very good images from a wide range of subjects.

P_Stoddart likes this.
  8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

OK so not a huge collection of lenses but you will need to budget to replace both though a basic 18-55 type is generally available with the body in a kit and sometimes you can even find a twin lens kit (the though the tele-zoom lens supplied in such is sometimes not that great).

I have a 1000D and to be honest it's not that big even compared to my Lumix G3 but I will admit that, despite being red, the G3 is possibly less obtrusive in the street (it may even be that no takes anyone with a red CSC to be a 'proper' photographer...:D). Never really tried using it for wildlife though I believe there are those that use CSCs to great effect.

medavidcook likes this.
  9. medavidcook

Thanks

hmm decisions

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a Canon full frame kit which I like using. I also have a Fuji CSC kit which is more convenient to carry around but I don't enjoy using it as much, the electronic viewfinder bugs me mainly. There is not a lot of difference in the end results.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Either type can cover these subjects, perhaps a CSC is slightly better for the first and a DSLR for the second. I have both types and I am very impressed with the results from the Fuji CSC, if I am walking about or travelling by train it is my camera of choice. I was at a wedding last year and took both the CSC and my Nikon D610, in that situation the Nikon was far superior, I took a few pictures with the Fuji and consigned it to the bag.

12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

My two cents... I have a Canon and few good lenses, at the moment I can't justify changing as getting the same quality glass in another brand would cost a small fortune. That said I am really tempted by Olympus, I think if I was starting fresh then the OM-D would be my choice the MK II have got the EVF to a level that I would consider...

13. medavidcook

So, after a lot of thought, i am going to pop into local camera shop and have a play with some new cameras, but i am edging towards staying with a DSLR as saves me a little bit of money.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Beware! Once you get in a camera shop the money just seems to float away...;):D

A hands on experience is a good idea. Aside fro anything else it will give you an idea of whether you are likely to get along with what can be rather tiny cameras.

15. medavidcook

No worry there, went into the store, to mainly have a look decided what I wanted was going to buy but guy came back with a battered box when open the camera had a chip. Didn't have any more in stock.

Did make me think whether I should buy from them if stuff is damaged or just pay extra £20 at jessops.

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Lots of bargains on DSLR's these days so lots of ban for your buck.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Was he offering a guarantee or warranty?
    Care to name the retailer in question?

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Presumably the box was battered when he took it away which should have given him a clue, did he not think to check the contents before parting with cash...:eek:

I bought my 40D from my local Currys shortly before it closed. That was open box. Box was a bit tatty and the camera had been used as the demo model so wasn't quite pristine but at £250 cheaper than any retailer in AP it's proved to be a bargain (it's still my principal Canon).

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I suspect he didn't take it away but it was opened by the shop in his presence.

20. medavidcook

He was just offering the standard warranty, but I didnt really want to chance it.

I have used the company for all my other stuff and they have been amazing. I don't think i am going to name them, as they are local and could be a one off.