1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones – an 'accident waiting to happen'

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nick,

As he is determined not even to consider anything else but his own viewpoint, it is no surprise that he can't understand what he won't consider.

Cheers,

R.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Last time I looked a commercial airliner is capable of flying well below the ceiling of the machine in your image, they have to to take-off and land. "Take out" was probably not the best term to use, but ingesting a toy would cause an engine shut down which is what I meant.

I think you might like to read the guidance material for FAR 33-76 http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/99690
    There is a significant difference between an 8lb bird and a toy plane, the plane will have metal parts, batteries, electronics etc which, unlike the bird, will not be readily and rapidly degraded in the combustion chambers of a jet engine. Metallic or electronic debris could block the dilution air holes and result in damage to the combustion liner and possibly the burners, need I go on?

For what it is worth a couple of pounds weigh of bar code scanner does considerable damage to a jet engine!

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Probably not the right place to ask but if we are licenced to hold a shotgun licence that allows us to shoot flying saucers and tame pheasants then are we allowed to shoot down an idiot flown drone.
    Also if the shot down drone causes injury, then who is liable for damages, the idiot pilot or idiot shooter.

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

As long as you can convince the Judge you thought it was a pheasant , you should be O.K .

7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

that was precisely Mark's point!

10. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-Known Member

11. Learning

Since Wikipedia is so often consulted and can be edited by its users it might be a good idea for a member of the AP staff to keep the AP entry up to date.

12. Learning

On the ingestion of foreign bodies by aircraft engines I seem to remember that on a visit to a Rolls test facility near Nottingham we were told about how real dead chickens were used in some tests. The blades were less damaged by thawed chickens than frozen chickens. I suspect that the story goes back many years and testing will be a bit more scientific now. Never the less I suspect that a Go Pro camera and drone will do rather more damage than an Iceland Frozen Chicken.

13. Learning

I understated. Apparently Coptograph exhibited a drone carrying a D750 at Photokina. Now that would do some damage.

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I believe it still happens. Before she changed career and became a teacher my eldest daughter had a job that included firing (thawed) chickens at aircraft engines to confirm they could stand the strain, if anybody thinks it necessary I will ask her for her opinion of the amount of damage a even a small camera could do.

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

16. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

A few years ago my mate worked testing airframes in the same way. But one time they left the bird in the air canon to finish defrosting while they went for lunch. On returning the fired the canon and found 2 lost of damage in the aircraft - it appeared that while they were at lunch the local cat fancied the smell of the chicken....