1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones – an 'accident waiting to happen'

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Sep 9, 2014.

1. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

All this from people of the country that repealed the Section 44 Terrorism Act and virtually started the "photography is not a crime" movement......
    Simply astonishing and sad.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Absolutely right Roger.

Can't see how that is in any way, shape or form an attack on photographers' freedom.

Eric

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The only thing astonishing and sad I can see in this is your utterly bizarre attitude to the whole thing, and complete and utter disregard for safety. Roger is of course absolutely correct.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The guy in this video [video=youtube;GfxdeRx2fLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxdeRx2fLA[/video] gets his drone to 1000m and loses contact with it, it eventually falling to the ground. Dangerous, irresponsible, certainly a danger to those on the ground, and I dare say it any aircraft.
    I live within 6 miles of Manchester airport, and when you see the planes approaching, I dare say there is a risk to those aircraft, and as such must be covered by some regulation.
    My wifes' school is on the flight path and should they wish to set off balloons/fireworks etc it needs clearance from the airport.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

No shortage of crash footage on YouTube for these things anyway.

One I couldn't find though was one from Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson crashes it in a packed TV studio.....presumably it came down somewhere after the lights went out?

There's also lots of behind the scenes stuff from programs like Gold Rush where you see the difficulties they face.....for example shooting stuff in reverse so they're only ever flying away from people. And even in a controlled environment where everybody was in on it there was contact between machines and some control issues.

Would I like one? Absolutely! Doubt they're as much fun to fly as an RC helicopter or plane though....the wee indoor helicopters are certainly a lot of fun.

6. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

So you guys are seriously afraid of this?
    [​IMG]

Unbelievable.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not too sure if you are taking the mick to be honest.

The risk may be small, but one of those weighs at least 1KG, imagine that falling from the sky and landing on you or your property.

There is video footage of a serious cutting injury, where the rotors siced some guys arm up. Again, perhaps only a small risk, but the risk is there, certainly if being controlled by some idiot with little or no sense.

I must admit I would like one, and am considering getting one of some description, but as a user I need to be aware of the risks and the rules, whereas I get the impression that you probably couldn't give a monkeys.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  8. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely not joking about this.
    What are the odds of being struck by lightning?.....killed by a terrorist?....hit by one of these things?
    AND people want these infinitesimal odds regulated by a government agency?
    The majority of the personal drones being bought and used are exactly the size of the ones shown in the picture I posted above.....you can throw them like a damn Frisbee. They weight slightly more than the Go Pro camera attached to them.
    It's absolutely crazy to think this need to be regulated by a government agency.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

They're heavier than the kite that killed the seven year old my father had to bury... and given the infinite capacity for dickheadery of the human race...

Adrian

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Big difference: drones can be regulated. Lightning and terrorism can't. What are you failing to understand? Come to think of it, the answer is "Most things."

Cheers,

R.

11. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

12. mikeh201355

Bieng flown in built-up areas or in a public park with kids around? Clearly higher than you would like to think.
    How likely is it we would be involved in a car accident? Actually very slim but no-one (and I presume including you) would think it a good idea to drive without a seat belt or without car insurance.

13. Roger Hicks

Never seen a big 6- or 8-rotor drone?

Unbelievable.

To say nothing of the fact that I'd not be keen on the toy you illustrate falling on my head, let alone the head of a small child.

What we're afraid of is stupidity and lack of imagination. Look in the mirror.

Cheers,

R.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm sure Hech is on the money...

What could be better than having a few beers lunchtime then having some fun with your drone in the park afterwards. I mean buzzing all those kids and getting them to run around screaming's gotta be brill fun, right...;)

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

16. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

They can't fly that high and they can be thrown like a Frisbee. I fail to see what part of that you guys are not understanding(how light and small most of these things are).
    And FWIW....a jet engine used on a passenger plane can take a hit/injest an 8 pound bird with no damage.....5 pounds is the minimum requirement.

NEXT.

17. mikeh201355

A frisbee has a rounded edge. These things are heavier and have four props that are far more dangerous than a frisbee.

But you also have to consider we are not talking about regulating that thing in your picture but regulations to cover all drones because some of them can weigh significantly more than that.

Highly unlikely, eh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26921504

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...d-more-injuries-at-great-bull-run-than-bulls/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...lide-with-nypd-helicopter-operators-arrested/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/2/4795488/drone-crash-landing-accident-new-york

18. Roger Hicks

The rest of us fail to see how you can conflate "most" and "all". And indeed the difference between a rounded, non-powered frisbee, and a spiky little drone with powered rotating spikes.

Admit it: your arguments as posed are worthless.

Next...

Cheers,

R.

19. mikeh201355

This is striking me as someone very vociferous about their freedom (I have no problem with that) but are so keen about their rights they forget their responsibilities (all too common). And sometimes responsibilities have to be re-inforced by regulation.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What we all fail to see is how you don't understand that whatever the crusiing height of an aircraft, the start and end point of each journey is generally somewhere close to ground level, and that to get to 30,000 feet, said aircraft has to pass through every altitude in between. And that's without considering private aircraft, helicopters and so on that typically fly well within the ceiling of these things.