1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dpi and pixel question

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Zana, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Zana

Zana New Member

hello,
    I am trying to book a photographer for a birthday party and I was going to accept one but I am wondering if he is offering poor quality pictures.

He is saying he would provide large pictures of 2480 pixels and 150 dpi
    And
    Small pictures for social media of 72 dpi and 1200 pm (not sure what pm is).

Are these good quality pictures? Is it worth spending on a professional photographer to get such pictures? I would really appreciate your advice. Many thanks

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

You will not get any idea of the quality by counting pixels Ask to see some examples of his work.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The "quality" of the pictures and the sizes are two different things.

I don't really understand what is meant by the size information. The first one suggests he/she proposes images as jpg files you could get printed yourself up to 16" max side, though that is a bit hopeful, 10" would be more realistic, the second looks like the proposal is for 1200 pixel images which would be full screen on most monitors - the guide here is 800 to display in a browser window. I would suggest to go back and seek a plain English explanation.

As for quality most have examples of what they do for advertising purposes so look and see if you like them.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think you are right to be suspicious. This sounds like someone who doesn't understand what they're doing trying to blind potential customers with science. Without going into details, if the numbers were correct they would represent poorer images than you would expect to get out of a middle of the road pocket camera. As Roger has said, insist on seeing samples of their work.