1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download images

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jaytee88, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Jaytee88

Jaytee88 Member

Hi can anyone let me know of website where I can download quality scenic images suitable for enlarging? I've looked st Flickr but most of these have copyright and when I selected filter for images which were avalable to download there were very few. I'm am fairly new to photography and not yet reached the level where I would want to enlarge any of my own pictures. I am thinking about 100cm x 30cm.. any suggestions?

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Try searching for "royalty free images" or "free images no copyright".

There are zillions out there. :)

3. Jaytee88

Jaytee88 Member

Thanks Rog!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Presumably by enlarging you mean have printed to size 100 x 30 cm (which is big for a photo) to hang in your wall. I think you will have a long search to find a panorama shot of sufficient resolution and of an interesting enough subject to look at day after day that is available for free use. Why not spend the time practising your own photography?

Geren and AlanW like this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Leaving aside my thoughts on how cheeky this request is, if you calculate the cost of the time it takes you to find such an image and the cost of having it enlarged and framed, it may well be cheaper to buy a framed print from one of those shopping mall 'art' stores.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canvas-Prints-Beach-Sunset-Living/dp/B00U2FRRPY/

Amazon sells everything.

7. EightBitTony

Geren likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. The "if I see it it's mine" culture is never attractive.

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

If images are being offered "royalty free" or "free images no copyright" what is wrong with taking advantage of the offer?

11. Andrew Flannigan

Nothing.

12. EightBitTony

I could buy a real bird for that.*

* Maybe, I've never bought a bird, so I'm just guessing. I could certainly get a decent chicken for that price for a Sunday roast, anyway.

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Technically, nothing wrong with it at all. However I'm guessing that the OP has looked and realised that there aren't very many images of a high enough res being offered for free simply because few people want scroungers 'taking advantage' in that manner.

14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I leave all my images at full res on flickr these days. I can't wait for the day one gets stolen and used. :)
    Oh, did I mention......I will come after you:mad:

15. EightBitTony

I have all mine at full res with a creative commons license (non-commercial) - but my landscapes suck ;)

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was suprisingly upset by the one time Flickr poster who sent me message saying he was using a picture for his brochure. I presumably figured for a short while in the salespack for a Japanese tour of Belgium. The shot was of an annual garden event that attracts Japanses coach tours. Since then everything that goes up is 800 pixels max with copyright reserved writ across it. As Lightoom does all conversions it is no effort to do.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I don't really understand. You make it sound as though you are tempting someone to 'steal' your images :confused:

18. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

"Royalty-free" is not the same as "free", as most stock agencies will tell you:

You pay a one–off fee to use the image with no restrictions on how you use image, how many times you use it or how long you use it for. You can use the image across multiple projects, forever. There are some restrictions on image use for reselling.

I'm against giving images away for free (close friends and selected 'charities' excepted) as it gives an indication of how much you value your own pictures, they're worthless, plus you're undercutting someone elses livelyhood, not all professional photographers are making megabucks!

My initial thought on reading the original post was, if you don't have the necessary skills, then learn them.

Alan

19. Andrew Flannigan

I don't think you can expect other people to behave according to the effect it might have on people they don't know. If you want to make money from your pictures you need to factor in the huge number of camera owners who are quite happy to give away their pictures on the internet.

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just because someone makes money selling images, doesn't mean someone else should not give them away for free if that's what they want to do.