1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Down on the Upside (2)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by caledonia84, Mar 4, 2014.

1. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Been on the lookout for locations where I can get shots like this, tried a multi story car park today and think I might have to visit a few more. I've posted 2 here processed quite differently, selective colour again in the first and I've left some of the blacks black to give it a graphic feel (I know this will offend some sensibilities!). The second is shot a few minutes later when it got cloudy and I've processed it more conservatively. Do either work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Nice idea :) 1st one for me.

3. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Agree with Serge, the 1st for me. But I would be inclined to crop in from the left side to where the white is.

4. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

great photo, I agree with the guys about the first image, but my crop would be taking a bit of the bottom - but very nice

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

What Alan said really. First one for me. Great idea, well executed. Left side is a bit distracting but a crop leaves the figure and shadow too close to the edge of the frame. Ho hum, what to do. Yellow lines definately add something IMHO. Nice.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The first is the one. It's a picture that you have to look at more than once to work out what is going on, then all becomes clear.

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The first one. The strong shadow means that at first glance you think you're looking at a tall person walking towards you. Then you get the mental flip when you realise what it really is.

The second one is just too diffuse to work properly.

8. caledonia84

Thanks guys, I know what you mean with the left hand crop as it is oof and a little distracting but it pulls him to far off the third for my liking :(. Will try a bit off the bottom though.

9. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

Awesome. Great idea. I prefer the processing of the 2nd but the layout/composition of the 1st.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The first one by far for me. The selective colour is toned down to the point of not being too noticeable.
    My only thought would have been to remove the bright light top left, but having covered it over, I think it looks better left in.

11. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

the first one ,and its a deff. take two or tree,but as said once the brain has focused its all good.:)

12. Charlie59

Charlie59 Well-Known Member

WTS, great shot the first .... had to look at it twice before it registered as to what was going on :). That's without a drink:p

13. caledonia84