1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dougie Wallace - Street Photographer

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by velocette, Mar 17, 2017.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

In the BBC 4 series What Do Artists Do All Day? Last night featured Dougie Wallace and his real in your face style of capturing life. Not my type of street photography (very few doors, walls or windows) and quite an extreme approach for some but the results are at times exceptional. Well worth a look.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Naff man, naff photos.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Some great stuff on his site, but some fairly meaningless "because I can" rather than "because it's good" shots too. But he does lift street out of the ordinary, which I guess is the main thing.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like a lot of his work. He captures some right characters but as Mike says some are "because he can". I like the Indian ones, and the drunks in the pub. The stag do one with the blokes meat and two veg is particularly horrible. lol

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I watched it and it was interesting enough.
    However neither the way he works nor his results were to my taste.
    There were, perhaps by statistical probability alone, a few interesting images.
    but is is rather like betting on snowballs, to see which will last longer in hell.
    I was surprised to see that his nose was still comparatively straight.

Roger Hicks and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Looking at some photos I too am surprised. Must be nimble footed

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have often thought that it would be interesting to capture moving image of my face as I look through his website. I'm guessing the expressions on my face would be indistinguishable from those I make when I see a video of someone removing a tick from someone's scalp or squeezing pus out of a particuarly nasty boil: screwed up in fascinated disgust.

8. RovingMike

I'm sure he'd be pleased with that. Something way beyond most street snappers.

Geren likes this.
  9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I too watched the programme, and couldn't understand just how much the ethnic mix of Knightsbridge had changed since I was last there; I simply don't recall the it being much different to London between Charing Cross and Euston, for example, but Wallace's view seemed to be very biased towards "loads o' money" types.

With regard to his nose and straightness thereof, I guess that the small camera on top of his kit is a car windscreen camera recording his view of the world, and thus able to supply evidence should he need it. I doubt it any angry victims would let that stop them.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Wasn't he specifically looking for those people as part of this theme?

11. Malcolm_Stewart

He probably was, but the attendant TV crew was not "seeing" any people of a more normal and less conspicuous affluence - at least that was my view, and I did try to see beyond.those closest to the camera.

12. RovingMike

I didn't see it, but assume he was standing outside Harrods wasn't he? I've done that numerous times and got similar. Hard not to, it is all you see, unless this character is about: https://flic.kr/p/tR6Rd2

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I just watched it on iplayer. Not sure what next to say.

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Didn't he say " F/11 and be there" or something similar?

15. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The bar for street photography is often set extremely low. Even I can overtop this level surprisingly often.

Cheers,

R.

16. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

17. RovingMike

Yes me too. But all of it makes you appreciate what someone like Martin Parr does to rise above what is mere recording of what is there, with timing of the shot the only real contribution from the photographer. It is so hard to inject any uniqueness of eye into street and "own" the shot, probably because you're limited to what happens, when it happens. There is still the feeling anyone could do it if they could be bothered to be there.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Depends what you call "street photography". To me, it's about recording the ordinary, the same thing photographers have done since Louis Daguerre pointed his camera at the Boulevard du Temple in 1838.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  19. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Yep, and to be honest, I think at least half of the skill is having the ability, confidence and sense of indifference needed to walk around talking photos in such scenarios. There are plenty who feel that steeet is just about recording what happens out there, and to some degree it is, but the really talented folk, such as Parr as you rightly mention, do so with real though, creative style and sense of composition and light.

Alex Webb is one of my favourites.

https://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL53Y_H

20. RovingMike

It is the way many do it, so an understandable mistake.