1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doorbell goes off but there's nobody there!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rupert49, Jan 18, 2012.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

You mean there's non-posh part of Aylesbury?!:eek:

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

... so long as they're not cordless / wireless, which always seems to cause more issues than it solves. Laying wire is not exactly hard.

3. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Oh yes .. you better believe it!! ;)

4. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Not hard, agreed, but a hassle to conceal invisibly :cool:

5. butchers

butchers New Member

I’ve got a wireless doorbell a Byron SX14 and it just stopped working.

This must be a regular occurrence as its covered in their Manual, under Digital Code Set Up Section 2, Interference from a similar unit operating nearby.
    It has to be reset to generate a new random operation code, repeating the same initial setup procedure.

Remove battery from push button, unplug the speaker units, leave for approximately 10 seconds, replace battery, plug speakers back in, press the doorbell to generate a new code.

Did this to mine and it works, though I still have to find the Unit its clashing with.
    SX-41i.pdf is the Bells Operating Manual, in case its of any use to anyone.

Attached Files:

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Are you sure it's not young 'uns playing the old game of 'knock it and run'...??

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I know we're all watching the tumbleweed blow by here these days but do we need to go back more than 4 years for a post worth the effort now? :eek:

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There's a lot of it about.

I recall a few years ago there was a bit of a fuss in a Cumbrian town - from memory it might have been Ambleside - related to cars parked in the main street locking and unlocking their doors all by themselves. After lots of investigation - some carried out by psychic investigators trying to pinpoint the source of this poltergeist activity - the problem was tracked down to a local cafe's hand-held order taking units (Casio OrderMan units connected to a QT6000 epos system - now there's a clear sign of an occupational hazard. I can't remember which town it was but I remember the till system they used!).

Closer to home, one of my colleagues in the office had issues with his heating coming on at stupid o'clock in the morning all by itself. It turns out that the bloke next-door had the same remote-controlled thermostat and was turning the heating on when he got home from working a night shift without realising that he was also turning my colleague's on as well. And vice-versa, if you see what I mean. It was only when two different heating engineers turned up at the adjacent houses to fix their respective problems that the issue was diagnosed. It must be rare for a couple of plumbers to fix a problem by having a fag and a bit of a chin-wag with one of their mates in the street instead of doing the whole bit where they stroke their chins and do the sharp intakes of breath.

Mentioning this takes me onto a bit of an unrelated memory - of the television that we had in my parents' house when I was a young lad. The first time we ever had a remote control (that wasn't connected by a wire) it was one that you clicked and it scrolled through the available three channels. Every Thursday night when the insurance bloke came around to collect his money (if we weren't hiding behind the settee with lights off pretending not to be in!) he'd end up rattling his big bag of change and our telly'd go berserk flipping through all the channels.

It's a shame really - the poor bloke ended up going barmy, jumped out of his upstairs window in stark boll*ck order, ran down to the local level crossing and threw himself in front of a train on its way to Manchester - the fire bobbies ended-up retrieving bits of him from the roof of the pub next to the railway line.

I'm sure there was a point that I intended to make when I started typing this but I was distracted by a squirrel and it now eludes me.

Cheers, Jeff

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I did wonder why Rupert hadn't set up a camera facing the door, to check for small boys with long sticks. :)

10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

It's not something I have any technical or professional knowledge of, but maybe something like aluminum foil could be used inside the casing of the doorbell,(and the device it triggers) so that only signals from one direction (inside the house and the device that 'picks up' the signal the doorbell is sending out, can trigger the bell?

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Fishboynight] - the fire bobbies ended-up retrieving bits of him from the roof of the pub next to the railway line.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of many years ago when I walked down to Gidea Park station and there were loads of police and ambulances so I asked the ticket guy what was going on and he said sd jumped in front of a train (Came out later she was visiting from Kenya and where she lived there would be would be one train every few days so people just had a quick look then crossed so she looked then started to cross as she was on the wrong platform)

So I was sitting there and a local well known "Character" sat down and said "It's cos it's nearly Xmas. People realise what they've lost like family and friends when Xmas is coming then they top themselves"

(Myth btw- suicide rates drop at Xmas but rise in the New Year)

Then she turned to me and said:

"If you're not careful that'll be you next"