1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doorbell goes off but there's nobody there!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rupert49, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

In common with many people these days, we have a wireless doorbell which I installed over a year ago.

Just this week it's been sounding when there's nobody at the door. Is someone else's wireless doorbell using the same radio frequency which is interfering with ours and if so, how can I rectify the problem?

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There is usually a DIP switch inside which should allow you to change frequency.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It could be someone's car key. I used to drive a Smart car and it would set off my granny's next door neighbour's door bell.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What they both said. My key (different car brand) used to set off my neigbour's doorbell - great fun. :D

5. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Press your doorbell and see which neighbour opens their door.

6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Mine sometimes rings with a different tone from the usual.No one there but I suspect it`s someone`s car key fob setting it off.

7. Rupert49

If that really worked Ted, I could then ask him to retune his bell! :D

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

We have one of these (a Byron SX series) and this started to happen to us some while back.

I e-mailed Byron's support and they suggested removing the batteries from both the chime unit and the bell push for a short period and then refitting them. Apparently, the unit then selects a different frequency which hopefully does not clash with similar nearby kit. It worked for us.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Drove me crazy, so I changed my bell. Was a house about 150 yards away, but mine didn't ring theirs far as I know.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ours started ringing at random times - sometimes in the middle of the night. My other half suggested that it needed new batteries, told me to turn it off and we've both completely forgotten to do anything about it since. EVeryone comes to the back door and knocks anyway so we haven't really missed it!

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a good old brass knocker? Technology, huh? :confused:

12. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Or my front door bell with a pull connected to a cord, over a few jockey wheels to a brass bell on the wall.

Same sort of thing as we use to summons the servants.:D:D:D

13. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

My 'servant' is programmed to 'Ignore' mode :(

14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Knock knock....

15. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Who's there?

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Graeme! Tah Dah!

daft_biker likes this.
  17. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Graeme! Tah Dah! who?

:rolleyes:

18. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Graeme! Tah Dah! who is knocking at your door!

19. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Wireless doorbell, strewth someone must live in the posh part of Aylesbury!

Andrew

20. Rupert49

I thought you'd be along sooner or later Andrew! LargeFormat usually joins in too when it's an Aylesbury sourced thread (he even has servants!!) :D

Actually, having had a new front extension and a very expensive front door installed, I was unwilling to go back to the days of drilling holes and threading bellwire around the place, so the modern wireless technology seemed to be the best solution. Some hi-tech gadgets do have their merits!

Since we unplugged the unit from the mains, reinserted it and turned it back on, things seem to have sorted themselves out ... for now! :cool: