1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont bother to buy or subscribe to AP its free! Read here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheSeeingEye, May 17, 2018.

1. TheSeeingEye

TheSeeingEye Active Member

Join your local library as you will mostly find Amateur Photographer and other magazines are free via their digital libraries. Every week I look at the diminishing content, quality and letters in AP and thank the stars its free. two minutes and I have read through the digital issue before moving off to spend an hour reading New Scientist or National Geographic.

A bargain.

Save your hard earned money and read for free!

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Because, after all, there is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in trying to support the magazine, or paying those who produce it. Stop and think through the inevitable consequences of your short-sighted, selfish suggestion.

What do you do/ did you do for a living?

Cheers,

R.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

And once the magazine has folded due to no one buying it...?

miked and Roger Hicks like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As I understand this it isn't free to the libraries. They pay a subscription for the access and they choose to pass the charge on to their members or not. I believe the magazine actually gets more money from the deal than when the libraries bought hard copy versions and put them in the racks.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't see why it should be a surprise. Going back many years AP used to be one of the magazines stocked in our public library. That is the function of the public library. You can (or at least could) read the newspapers too, and even borrow books. When I was at school The reference library was open until 20:00 and that's where I did my homework, making use of the resources there.

ascu75 and Roger Hicks like this.
  6. TheSeeingEye

TheSeeingEye Active Member

What do I do for a living? As if NOT BEING YOU means I do not have a valid opinion? lol

Put it like this Roger, if I were a REAL JOURNALIST I would address real issues in photography such as the overcharging of British photographers (amateur or professional) by the likes of Canon UK, Nikon Uk, Sigma UK, Tamron Uk etc etc. Real journalism attacks real problems not wishy washy nostalgia.

The standard of journalism (all aspects) has never been worse in the world not just the UK. Most are subject to draconian limitations of large american companies such as TIME? Winding the sausage machine handle and spewing out the same stuff year after year is hardly difficult and barely qualifies as work but I am sure it pays for trips to Canon factories and other such freebies? For some?

Many a historical employment has gone to the wall for all sorts of different reasons. Remember miners? Where were the jounalists then? Etc etc.

Many of AP Readers are pensioners and could well save money for more important things like heating and food rather than buy AP when they can get it for free (as another poster has pointed out) paid for by their Councils taxes already?

As for what I did for a living, well many things including over 30 years in under-paid Public Service. You should try it, as bombasts do not last long.

7. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

But they wouldn't get it free.... well not for long anyway

8. PeteRob

What nonsense. Cameras have always been expensive luxury items and are probably cheaper now than ever they were. I think I paid about £400 for a budget Canon film camera and twin lens kit 25 years ago. Prices have gone up recently indeed but that reflects exchange rates and the high cost to the Japanese industry of rebuilding itself.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well if you really are broke then fair enough. You can also keep warm in winter. I have no problem with that whatsoever. However if you have a few bob to your name, then shouldn't you cough up a small pittance to pay for it.

10. Learning

A few minutes ago I deliberately very politely avoided the use of the word parasite. Please forgive my omission.

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Unseeing Eye,

No. The relevance is quite simple. It doesn't matter what you do/ did for a living. The point is that you wouldn't do/ have done it for nothing. Why, then, would you expect journalists and production staff to work for nothing? As Learning says, if you're really broke you can keep warm in the library as well. But you didn't address your remarks to the elderly and impoverished; or indeed to impoverished students, which is why I used to read AP in the library too. No: you bounced straight in, without a thought or a care, and suggested that no-one should buy the magazine. Not content with that, you insulted it as well. Then again, you seem to have a weakness for insults.

Paying people for what they do is nothing to be with being bombastic. It's a matter of simple economics. Which bit of this don't you understand?

As for your drivel about "real journalists" (why did you think that ALL CAPS added anything? I used them because I thought they might be all you could understand) and overcharging, PeteRob has answered that perfectly well. Have you any actual basis for your assertions? Except perhaps using ill-informed comparisons with American prices, where (a) sales taxes are far lower than European VAT and (b) prices in advertisements are normally quoted without sales tax anyway.

Cheers,

R.

12. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Not subscribing would leave a gap in the toilet.

Graeme

ascu75 likes this.
  13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Not in my local library...
    The few PCs there are always in use by jobseekers (remember them?) and care in the community cases watching music videos with headphones.

Whilst I agree that many issue of AP are not worth the retail cover price (when full of reviews of hardware with 4 figure prices or the latest 'pay and display' prize-winning travel pictures, for example), I subscribe because this is a more reasonable price per issue even though some issue get recycled sooner than others.

Also, the 'hard copy' version is more practical for perusing during bowel movements.

14. Roger Hicks

Dear Chester,

In case of constipation, I find that the really dull issues are ideal as they bore the shit out of me.

Besides, the back page is usually worth reading.

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 and Chester AP like this.
  15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Talking about cost of cameras. The camera my great grandmother used in 1884 was £17.5s.0d Auto nothing (and equivalent to a throwaway camera nowadays) and compared to the average wage of the time ridiculously expensive, luckily for her she had a rich lawyer father

Incidentally as AP was founded in 1884 I expect she read it.

ascu75 and daft_biker like this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

TBH not getting a bus to work saves me buying magazines. Well that and I'm not so into the kit these days.

Been a long time since I used a library though......wonder if they have much in the way of NH reference stuff I can try to see if I can make use of it. Could pick up some poop bags for the dogs anyway as they are given out free to locals at Midlothian libraries. Shame about the lack of bins to put them in though.......

17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

A four page, five star, review of the latest £2,000-£4,000+ camera body goes beyond being merely dull... of course it does everything apart from making coffee , but it's as exciting as a barium enema.

If you mean the last editorial page, even you must admit the occasional bit of verbal constipation therein.

18. Learning

Better than verbal Diarrhea.
    As for pricey kit, that technology trickles down as used premium kit, or new mid priced kit and ultimately all kit.

19. PeteRob

The AP coverage is fairly balanced. To be honest I'm not particularly interested in the review of anything less.

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

Well, yes. But a lot of people seem to like trading in last year's bottom-end or mid-range camera for this year's; or even just buying without trading in. Years ago AP had a letter from someone who said he'd been using Nikons for 20 or 30 years, and had over a dozen of them. Turned out they were ALL mid-range, extremely dull, heavily automated cameras.

It's unlikely I'll ever buy a new camera again, because my Nikon Df and Leica M9 pretty much do what I want and I'm 68 next month, but it's faintly possible that something interesting might turn up and even more faintly possible that I could find the money to buy it.

Cheers,

R.