1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done Like a Kipper

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not the Farage sort, but the herring variety! We had a change of wind direction today resulting in a constant smoke haze from the fires on the ranges a couple of miles away. I appreciate the military have to train and big excercises are planned months in advance, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that lobbing high explosives into tinder dry grass for the best part of 2 weeks probably isn't a good idea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44804272

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe they've got an intake of new Squaddies and someone thought, "They must be sick and tired of the RSM's square-bashing, so what about getting the Artillery to dish them out with some decent field-work instead?" :D

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

We've been having the smoke from the Pennines wafting over us for over a month !
    Still burning .
    At least the rain might help , or at least its cooler for the ones trying to put it out .

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So our army's been infected with Mad Tory Disease: no matter how stupid an idea is put it into practice and then claim you couldn't have forseen the consequences. :rolleyes:

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Your bias is showing Andrew, Labour politicians are every bit as bad/good at falling foul of the law of unintended consequences.

Trannifan and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Done like a kipper, indeed!!! How terribly bourgeoise!! It should, at the very least be salmon, or perhaps trout!! Still, I suppose it's better than those terrible smoked eels the working class eats!!!

:eek::p:D

I should talk - my favourite is smoked mackerel and chips at 'The Old Custom House' in Padstow.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Not sure: the smoked eel at the organic/local shop in Loudun is 73.50€ a kilo, about £65. And worth it. We buy 100g packs, especially when it's short dated at half price.

Sure you're not thinking of jellied eels? Or farmed smoked salmon?

Cheers,

R.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's in French France. If they can make Helix pomatia in garlic butter taste good enough to order a second dozen then preparing eels for dégustation is mere child's play.

9. Footloose

Well, if the Eels don't appeal to you, there's always Sweden's surströmming (sour herrings) - I don't think it's likely to be sold cheap due to being past it's 'sell-by' date - Indeed it might well then be even more expensive!

I can't imagine IKEA's likely to stock them in its food section...

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they can. Enough garlic and butter can disguise almost anything.

Hey: there's an idea for Brexit.

Cheers,

R.

11. Footloose

Thinking of garlic, Dracula and politicians, Michael Howard's family (Hecht) hail from Transylvania, but maybe I am confusing him with this (skinnier) Tory politician ...

George-Gardiner.jpg

Sir George Gardiner who was certainly mocked in his Reigate constituency for looking like Dracula? On the other hand, does this mean the Tories actually have TWO members loosely-related to Vlad?

12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

A very impaling personality?

Lynn