1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphin Shoot.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Toast, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

Hi Guys..

I have a chance this tuesday to go out to sea for a dolphin shoot, its 20 euros for a two hour trip.
    I'm not sure if I know enough to be able to take shots of dolphins or if I have the right lens even.. my lens being. Canon 15-85, Sigma 10-20, or Sigma 30 mm prime.
    I dont think the 30mm prime would be any good but the 10-20 wide angle might.
    Anyone know about this type of shot.. I would like to go but not much point if the gear I have is not up too it.

Any thoughts. :)
  2. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

15-85mm would probably be the best... if you are shooting from the boat
  3. wave

wave Well-Known Member

i would go with the 15-85 and have the camera on a1 servo and burst mode
  4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I agree with Fen.

Don't be too upset if you don't get much because it's fearfully difficult. You never know where and when the dolphins will appear unless they can be persuaded to ride the boat's bow wave. It gets much easier then.

PS I'd pay the 20 euros just to watch and forget the photography.
  5. Fen

6. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

My wife said just go, if you get lucky with a picture or two then its a bonus.. :)
  7. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

8. Fen

Cheers. Was from the front end of a catamaran, strapped to the netting so I could lean out over the hull :D

The owner of the boat was a serious hobby photographer and it was the first time he'd seen the D3 as there weren't any on the island yet. I'd only got mine two days before we went on holiday!

BTW - You Gerrard 51 ?
  9. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

Affraid so... :)

I have to make my mind up by Satuday night as there are only a few places left..
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

This is the only photo I've got since I started photography, so there's room for improvement.. :D