1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing InFraRed the cheating and really cheating way ....

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by Done_rundleCams, May 9, 2018.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Cheating, initially, by adding one of those mostly opaque IR filters on to my Ricoh GR whist shooting in colour ...

May5-18-AP-SatJS056964 copy.jpg

Really cheating by desaturating the colour shot in Preview and fiddling a bit ...
    May5-18-AP-Sat-JS056964 copy 2.jpg

Cheers and, please, don't tell Clive Rowley :eek: .... ;)

Jack

spinno and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks like your GR has a fairly weak IR cut filter on the sensor unit. What sort of exposure settings were you getting? My old Nikon D50 generally gives around 1-2seconds at f8/ISO400 in good light with an R72 filter.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Done_rundleCams

I was getting 1/8 to 1/10 at 800 ASA (using Auto ASA) and at 100 ASA I was getting around a 1 sec shutter speed. This was
    me just flutzing around outside of the shop ... no tripod or serious shooting. I might try it on my DSLR and my Takumar 135/2.8
    or something? Then, if I go totally insane, maybe drop a roll of Rollei IR film in my MX :eek: :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks like it's quite sensitive sensor, I'd have to push the D50 to 1600 and open the aperture wide to get a near hand-holdable speed...:rolleyes:

If your DSLR is fairly modern it might struggle as more recent cameras have far more efficient IR-cut filters than the old ones. Always worth a try though.

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

That's the cheap way but not cheating at all, you are recording NIR.
    Cheating is using a software filter to mimic the IR effect, which often gives a very different result to recording the IR itself.

Do be careful though IR can be addictive - I started off shooting IR like this with a K100d, and now have three cameras that are as sensitive to IR as they are to visible.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You can do it with the X-T10 as well as with Pentaxes:

IR-rhubarb-web.jpg

S

7. steveandthedogs

Out of interest, does this make any difference to shooting without the IR filter? That is, can you still use the camera in an ordinary fashion or does the IR affect the pictures?

S

8. Petrochemist

The IR does effect the picture, but not always drastically.
    Vegetation is usually paler,and black fabrics often take on a colour, otherwise it's not too noticeable. The big benefit is in the range of filters that give interesting results - as well as the normal IR models most normal photo filters transmit IR significantly (often proportionally more than some lenses).
    The camera model can have big effects too, with Sigma Foveon models IR shows as red (The IR filter on most of these is easily removable - no tools need for my SD14)

Here's an example of a full spectrum shot on a Bayer type camera https://flic.kr/p/rFuQaP
    The teams uniforms match the cars colouring in visible light.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  9. Done_rundleCams

I suppose, Nigel, I could try the IR filter on my K-r and 35/2.8 lens which would be much easier than popping a roll of IR film in my MX ;). Oh well, I guess, I'll have
    to see how brave I am :D

Cheers,

Jack

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I tried it with an Oly Pen-EP1 a few years ago and the sensor is sufficiently sensitive for hand holding in sunlight auto focus works.. Here is a test where I restricted myself to ISO200 and the exposure was several seconds. Anyone is welcome to down load and look at the exif data
    . Unfortunately I was not skilled enough to follow it up.
    PA144490  converted.JPG

11. steveandthedogs

Works well on the K-r as well!

S

12. RogerMac

Just tried it with my new PEN-F and it works with that as well. Of course as I am using an IR filter from my Canon FD days a suitable step up ring is needed.

P.S. With attention to the switching the PEN-F can show the final result in monochrome in the viewfinder

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  13. Done_rundleCams

Using it on the K-r would kinda be like the GR, Steve, just with a bigger body, where as,
    using the MX and the film would be more real :). However, seeing as I am lazy, I'll probably
    opt for the K-r ;)

cheers,

Jack

14. Done_rundleCams

What kind of Filter did you use, Roger? I used an aftermarket filter with the number 720 on it (??).

Cheers,

Jack

15. RogerMac

I used a genuine" Hoya 55mm INFRARED (R72)" 55mm is the filter size and was the standard size on the old Canon FD lenses - that's why a step up ring is needed for mFT use

16. Done_rundleCams

I used a "dHD brand and IR720" 55mm filter and will use
    a Step Up filter :)

Jack

17. Petrochemist

Wavelength transmission of the two are effectively identical. I've tested 3 brands on the spectrometer at work & differences are not significant.
    The Hoya R72 I have is an unmounted 25mm disc & not sold for photography, so I've not been able to do any real testing on image sharpness etc. - The results from my cheap Chinese IR filters have rarely been pin sharp but I don't know if that's down to the filters or my technique/lens/conversion...

18. Done_rundleCams

Hi P_C,

The only other time I used an IR filter, it was the Hoya R72 and that was on my Canon G2 and, truth be told, the results
    were similar to that of with my Ricoh GR .... kind of meh ;) . Then, of course, a mate of mine bought the filter and
    did some remarkable photographs with the same camera :eek: ... :)

Cheers,

Jack

Petrochemist and steveandthedogs like this.
  19. Petrochemist

It's often said that it's not the gear...
    With Infra red its also not what you see, simply trying to visualize the results often involves surprises.
    Unless sticking to the cliche 'lone tree' shots. a large degree of trial & error is needed to see how things come out - and often a measure of post processing to make the shot work too.

20. Done_rundleCams

Geez, you're not making it easy, P_C, I'm cr@p at post processing and, without shooting cliches, I'd have no pics to post at all :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

Petrochemist likes this.