1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy battery on ebay - do I still have any comeback?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Yes, I do carry spares, for all my main cameras.
    Before buying a spare for my latest body, the M5, I could normally get several 100 shots before I started to worry. The M5 is different, and of course its battery is much smaller than those for my Canon DSLRs; and perhaps the internal computing load has increased, thus lowering the number of shots before the battery is drained?

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I've got 3 Nikons that take versions of the EN-EL15 battery, a V1, D750 and a Z6. I have a couple of third party batteries that work fine in the V1 and the D750 but not the Z6. It seems to recognise these batteries as not the real deal, gives a warning message and refuses to power up. The charger supplied with the Z6 does charge these third party ones though.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Lithium Ion batteries offer the longest battery life if they are not discharged below around 20% so if you don't know the state of charge you will be running the batteries to cut-off. Do this over an extended period and the life of the battery will be reduced. With many devices it is likely that charge levels of 0% can be shown but many manufacturers display the usable charge not the absolute charge, whether the 0% indication occurs at 20% absolute only the manufacturer knows.

If Canon can deprive users of third party batteries of charge information and thus create a situation where these batteries don't last as long as genuine Canon batteries (Charge cycles not life per charge) then some customers will buy genuine batteries thinking it is cheaper long term. In practice, if you get 80% of the life for 25% of the price third party batteries are still cheaper.

I used to advocate using genuine batteries where smart batteries were concerned because the third party ones didn't, in my experience, work as well. Times have changed and third party manufacturers have caught up. The fact that Nikon want £200+ for an EN-EL18 and a third party one can cost around £40 makes a considerable difference too.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Touch wood I haven't had any issues with 3rd party batteries, but stick to one or two brands.DSTE and Maxsimafoto

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Indeed - I wouldn't want to pay £200 for a battery for my camera, given that I paid £119 for the body!

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am not doubting you but I assume this is based on scientific tests as none of my camera manuals mention it. I usually leave batteries in the cameras until they discharge. If I haven’t used a camera for a while and the battery indicator is low I may charge it earlier. £200+ for a battery is ridiculous.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see the information in the instructions with a third part EN-EL4 recently, I already knew about the discharge limits ust seeing a camera battery manufacturer actually stating it was a first. I did a lot of research in about 2012/2013 in relation to carrying a computer onboard the 787, which itself has Li-Ion main batteries. I couldn't at this remove tell you the web sites I used, and discharge limits didn't form part of my final procedure, but the information is out there if you look for it. The 787 main battery has a discharge limit below which it isn't possible to initiate charging, again I can't remember the values, discharge well below that level is possible for obvious reasons.

Sorry, I got that price wrong, they are only £189 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-EN...r_1_1?keywords=EN-EL18c&qid=1574196087&sr=8-1

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Just because the camera doesn't show you the charge levels, doesn't mean it's not measuring them and acting on them. I suspect it acts on them in the same way it does for its own batteries for a) simplicity and b) safety.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Just got an email from Paypal telling me that as they've had no communication from the seller (quelle surprise) they've refunded me. Now if I can just work out why there's a random 98p withdrawal from my bank, apparently by Paypal, but not showing on my Paypal account...