1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy battery on ebay - do I still have any comeback?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Nov 10, 2019.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Before I steam in and make a right fool of myself...

I bought a new battery in June, claimed to be a genuine Nikon battery, nothing I can see that tells me anything otherwise on battery or packaging (thinks - might ask work colleague whether it's labelled in Chinese, which would be suspicious). However it's now carked it, refuses to take a charge, and the camera refes to function with it in.

Do I still have any comeback with either ebay or the seller? Hoping someone with experience can point me in the right directon... It's not that it was hugely expensive, I'm just peeved, especially as it went tits-up at an annoying moment.

Thanks!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on who the seller was and where they are based and how much time you want to spend on it. If the serial number isn't on the invoice I suspect that you'll have trouble proving that it is the battery you bought.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Send a message to the seller asking them to replace. If they won't help report to eBay as faulty item. Buyers nearly always win.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It may of course actually be genuine, it's not only spurious articles that fail.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  5. gray1720

That's very true, Nimbus!

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Contact the manufacturer in the first instance. I got a Bluetooth speaker from a Chinese company that didn't work and I let them know not really expecting much and a few days later they emailed me to say they were sorry about the problem and I could either return it or they would send me a replacement at no extra cost!

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Indeed I have had a EN-EL15 battery from Nikon fail. No problem I have more. And the failed battery was one of those replaced after the D500 release. Two of the four replaced batteries were old and on their last legs so I did not complain. More concerning is that my old D300 also failed. Sadly it got very wet on a caving trip; the sort of thing that I should have grown out of years ago. I now use an even older D200 for recording such pursuits. If that fails then I will have some EN-EL3e to dispose of. I won't sell them. I will give them away to someone whom I know can use them and doesn't ask.

8. gray1720

Well, it seems I don't have a case through ebay, as it's older than X (about 2 months, looking at the items I can arrange a return of), but they passed me on to Paypal, who've set up a dispute for me. I await with interest.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Do Nikon give a warranty on their own batteries, I thought they were excluded?

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

PayPal are pretty cheap at disputes.
    I would inform Nikon, who may want the battery and give them the name of the seller.
    You may not get anything out of it, but Nikon may be able to insert foot into suitable orifice of seller.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

FWIW - Canon's more recent bodies and chargers can recognise Canon batteries from impersonators.

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Do they refuse to work with the imposter or just warn you?

13. Bazarchie

They still work but I stand to be corrected.

RogerMac likes this.
  14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Panasonic tried something similar with their batteries on mFT but they did it via a firmware update and made no announcement so anybody who applied that update found that their batteries might not work, but I think that they had to reverse it!

15. Malcolm_Stewart

The third party battery I bought was for my Eos M5 - the original is way too small for a camera such as this which screams to be used....
    The battery was delivered well packaged in "New" condition, and charged. When inserted into the camera, the camera worked OK, but the battery indicator position on the LCD was blank. When I tried it in the Canon charger, the amber LED didn't turn on, and I assume that no charging took place. (...and not a hint of any warmth after being "charged" for a period...) So, after weighing the options, I bought a new Canon battery at 4x the price. The other options were to buy a much cheaper charger which would probably have charged the battery or even two at a time, but I would never have been happy leaving an unmonitored charger charging any lithium type battery.

Earlier third party batteries have worked OK in my earlier Canon DSLRs and chargers, with full indication and monitoring.

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The cameras in the EOS M line have an encrypted message format for interrogating the charge. I kid you not. So it's not possible, as I understand it, for third party batteries to show their power level in the camera. They also may not be recognised by the official charger. Third party chargers probably show a perfectly normal light and cut it out when necessary, on third party batteries. Well done Canon for inventing a method of ensuring more people spend over the odds on batteries. They also use these new battery formats in some of the EOS xxxD range I believe.

Edit: Because they can't stop third parties making the batteries, but they can reduce the functionality by introducing 'security' measures.

17. Bazarchie

but do 3rd party batteries still work even if their power level is not shown?

18. Malcolm_Stewart

In my case with my Eos M5, the third party battery did power the camera, but I had no way of knowing how much charge was left.

19. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes. The actual electrical contacts are identical. It's just software in the camera and charger that prevents it telling you how non-Canon batteries are getting on.

Given that even with a true Canon battery the charge remaining indicator on the m50 is pretty much useless (full, full, full, full, half, ha-dead) I'm not sure it's a great loss.

20. Bazarchie

Not ideal, but if you carry a few spares does it matter? My cameras are not that old but are not in the current ranges and the 3rd party batteries I use are fine, with one exception. If the main camera manufacturers go the way of Apple and restrict 3rd party accessories it will be a sad day. New camera and lens prices are already becoming very expensive, if accessories are also restricted I fear they will only loose customers apart from pros and wealthy amateurs. Perhaps that is their aim.

I still think nobody guarantees batteries.