1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you own a 50mm lens?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

The poll question for this week 11 July 2015 is

Do you own a 50mm lens? Please cast your vote here http://apmag.co/YIdgw8

[​IMG]

2. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I did have the Canon EF50 f/1.4, but sold it to fund my 24-70 - tempted to pick up the new 50mm STM though.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Several in fact...:)

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if there was not someone on the forum (Roger(H)? Nick?) who did not have at least 10 and possibly 20. Personally I only have three .

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

My 'nifty fifty' is usually on my Nikon most days.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have two.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I have two or three older Pentax 50mm lenses, that will work, after a fashion, on my k20d, but as 75mm lenses approx.

And an old 35mm ditto, but would be in effect a 50mm-ish on the k20d.

Plus a 25mm Holga for the G3 - 50mm equivalent.

And I'm also considering getting a new Pentax 35mm lens for the DSLR.

So not really sure which poll option to go for!

8. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Yes, several. However, the question is less meaningful without the caveat of crop factor. For example I am very partial to using a 30mm lens on APS-C. Much more often than using a 50mm. The reason of course is that 30mm translates to a full frame equivalent of 45mm.

I think the question would be better posed as an exploration of the usefulness of the classic 'normal' angle.

9. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Yes. On my D70 makes the lightest outfit in my collection and so probably the most used.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Keep going...;)

11. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Well, I could have answered 'Yes' and also 'Yes if a 50mm equivalent counts' as I also have an 80mm lens (or rather two) on a 6x6 Mamiya TLR.

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I have a checkered history with 50's... Had the Nikon f1.8 which was my (and most peoples) first wide aperture lens. Once I got an f2.8 zoom its use evaporated and was sold. Got the f1.4 thinking I would use the extra stops... Rattled a couple of test pictures off with it, was not picked up again and sold 6 months later.

I now have a f2.8 Zeiss Jena zebra model in M42 mount on the end of a stack of extension tubes. As soon as I can afford a 100mm macro lens, it'll loose its function too and get sold on too... Otherwise all my zoom lenses have access to 50mm in their range aside from an M42 f4 300mm, but do those zooms count??

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I have one that I haven't used in ages. Wouldn't part with it but would prefer a more modern one with faster AF than my old EF 50/1.4.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Easier to talk about the ones you'd like but haven't got yet?

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Off the top of my head - 3 for Canon EF (an old f1.8 that doesn't AF, an f1.4 and an f2.5). Oh, and a 40mm f2.8.

Nikon - just the one these days.

Pentax - f1.7, f2 and a 40mm f2.8 for K, about 5 50ish Takumars.

C/Y - 2 f1.4 Planars, 2 f1.7 ones, and an f1.7 Yashica.

Rollei QBM - 2 f1.4 Planars, 3 f1.8 Planars

Praktica Bayonet - 4 f1.8s, 2 f2.4s

Praktica M42 - at least 10 f1.8 Meyer/Pentacons, 2 f1.8 Pancolars, 4 f2.8 Tessars.

Canon FD etc - 2 f1.4s, 10 f1.8s in various forms.

Leica - f2 Summicron-R, f2.8 Elmar in M, and also a 40mm f2 Summicron-C.

Other interchangeable 50s - at least 20 more for Exakta, Konica, Chinon, Werra, FED, Kiev (both rangefinder and SLR), Zenit, and others.

And I have never much liked the focal length!

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just one of those - the old EF 50mm f1. Although I might fancy a 65mm sometime. ;)

17. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Something of a sweeping generalisation, I think.

My first fast fifty was a Takumar f1.8, my school friend's first was a Prinzflex (Chinon) f1.8, the chief photographer at my first newspaper had bought his first, just before I arrived: a Canon RF f1.4...

...Oh, yes; there was the chap who taught me how to make B/W transparencies at the Hampstead Photographic Society. His was an Oreston f1.8.

I think that the point I'm making is that no-one I know bought a Nikkor as their first fast fifty.

:D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Sorry, brand specificy was not intended, but I do take your point 1.8 is not the only aperture 50 available throughout time and space :)

19. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I would agree that Nikon was king in the seventies. But others weren't far behind. Pentax notably - the K1000 was one of the classic, ubiquitous film cameras for example. Pentax K'55 f1/8 lenses and M50 f1/7 lenses were plentiful indeed, and they still are and they are one big photographic bargain to this day. I don't know anyone who hasn't used a K55 f1.8 lens for the first time and been pretty impressed at how good it is and how it stands up to modern lenses. You couldn't spend a more photographically worthwhile £30 or so. I'm sure the same could be said of an old Nikkor et al.

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nick, There. I've sorted them into order for you and chucked out the (40mm) interlopers. You forgot your Olympus 50, btw. :) OK. I cannot resist any longer.

'The Everest Question: Why?'

Both the quantity and the bold italic quote.

Cheers, Oly