1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you know what this is?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Oct 24, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Maroon-ish?

S

Catriona likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Indeed!

The perennial dilemma of does one visit in 'summer' when temperatures reach double figures and midges reach billions, or any other time when the temperature and midge count is lower. The softies go for the former, plus use that skin-so-soft stuff to try to mitigate their poor choice. :D

Catriona likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Is it the surface of out of date cream in your fridge.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I used to just put on a midge hood when cutting the grass etc. I do remember being out on the moor, bringing home our peats, when we ditched the idea really fast and sprinted back to the car. Another time, we had my brother over on a visit (his ONLY) and tried to show him the sights. He loved the beaches, but when we took him out on a moor road, he did nothing but whinge about his car's suspension, stopping every 5 minutes and getting out to check underneath the car! Whhen we got home, we had to take him to hospital because he had such a violent reaction to the midge bites!! The doctor laughed and mocked English visitors - but was surprised when I said my husband is English and totally unaffected by midges. That's my Scottish brother! Suitably dosed up with antihistamines, we returned home - as he did the following day. Haven't seen him since. Ha!

Zou likes this.
  5. Catriona

Nope!
    It is organic.
    It used to grow in my old garden.
    It is very big with leaves you could shelter under.

Have you got it now?

6. Catriona

Yes. :)

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Rhubarb?

Catriona likes this.
  8. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Cannabis?

9. Catriona

Haha! I could do with that. I'm absolutely sure I had a leavy pot plant once,,, but when it died, I was never able to get another. :D

10. Catriona

Close enough!! :)

You win!

It's Gunnera manicata. Actually, it's the flower.

Well done again. :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes- I agree. Now, in Canadia, the bugs are so big they turn your ID disc over to check if you're the right blood group before they bite you.

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Dammit, now you've said that, I can see exactly what it is!

I've no great problem with being bitten by midgies (unlike a friend who came back from his first, and last, visit to the highlands looking as though he had measles), I just get annoyed by the crawling. Mind you, one bit me once on the top of Cockup in the Lake District*, the missus wasn't impressed when I accused her of importing it across the Solway. Well, we could see Scotland from there...

*you lot are going to have fun with that!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Haha!
    It always was dicing with death having a pee on the moor! I had a lot more exposed!! :eek::D

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

75252907_10156476703851669_473499434051698688_o.jpg Something I use on a daily basis

15. Catriona

Siphon to test milk?

16. Catriona

Something you attach to a teat to withdraw some milk?

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not farm related.

Catriona likes this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Midges don't actually bite...

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

OK. Their spit and suck.

20. Catriona