1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you get excited about the release of new editing software?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Hi

Would you mind leaving your comments regarding the poll question from the 4 July 2015 issue as I didn't post it at the time? The poll is now closed but you can see the results here

Do you get excited about the release of new editing software?

No, to me it is just a tool
    Yes, it is always interesting to see the latest features
    No, I find that I don't use many of the more modern features of software
    I'm not bothered either way

Thanks

Chrissie

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Do you get excited about the release of new editing software

Nope...

Until upgrade my PC there's little point as the more up-to-date versions simply aren't compatible.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

If by 'release of new editing software' you include such things as Adobe CC's latest update to the likes of Bridge, Photoshop etc etc...then no. It invariably seems to involve taking something I've just learned how to use and making it un-useable. By the time they fix all the glitches on this update they'll have another one come along and muck everything up all over again.

Curmudgeonly of Scotland.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

My last update was from PSE version 2 - apparently wouldn't work well with Windows 7 - much messing about with memory settings to get it to work at all.

Fortunately v12 had just come out, so I got v11 cheap.

Depending on how that works with W10...

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

...however I used to be...

I got the third to last and second to last priced-to-own photoshops, cs4 and cs5, while at university with that wonderful student discount encouraging me not to spend the loan on largers, 5.5 a clearly worth it with its content aware fill...

When 6 came out I was stony broke and a friend of mine on the course got it, with the content aware move tool, however Puppet Warp was with 5 so did not feel too bad about it all...

Since CC appeared, I have not heard of one single improvement. It's like Photoshop has entirely fallen off the radar. By updating little and often, they have killed the hype. Last I heard there was some kind of blurred image sharpening more like content-aware fill than Unsharp Mask, but that's all I've heard of it since they went to the subscription model.

If I ever need whatever they have in future I'll pay for a month sub (or week if they do it) otherwise I'll 'make do' with 5.5...

By the way, I headed a few years ago they had made Photoshop 7 (pre CS) free to download for anyone to use, but could not find anywhere and was probably misinformed. Would very much like to know if it is/was :)

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Exciting - not really. it depends what you mean by "new". It is hard to imagine a substantial change happening now to the mainstream LR/PS or Capture One. I was once thrilled when they added rotate to the DPP crop tool years back - that really was a big improvement. The version DPP 4 left me underwhelmed but mainly because it did not cater to my 5D so I still use DPP 3. I have no idea how far GIMP still has to go - wrt the impact an incremental change could have.

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Yes, if it will actually work with my camera and operating system.

Still waiting for Corel AfterShot Pro (formally Bibble) to support my Pentax K3...

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Does Corel work with DNG? I gave up hoping my now obsolete photoshop (CS5!) was going to be supported and started shooting in DNG, and thank goodness, those RAW files have saved my bum more than once :)

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Which version do you use? Tried the development version 2.9.1 ?

Not sure when it is scheduled for the final release v3.0.0 but it's maturing well so can't be far off.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Haven't tried it for years which is why I don't know if it could still go through a step change. I remember that you used to have to manually add functionality from different vendors. I think I downloaded a version for the mac last year but the installer wasn't "approved" so I didn't install it.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Oh it's vastly different from those cranky early versions! Much like PS with similar (or greater) functionality but, of course, free.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I would get a little excited if Gimp came out with adjustment layers.
    Till then I will have to keep paying for Adobe cc.

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Yes, AS Pro does support DNG, but it reads the Camera model and treats every camera type as different, probably so it can implement correct processing of camera settings etc.

Sort of makes sense, but it doesn't exactly help compatibility.

With a previous version, after I'd done a camera firmware upgrade, which changed the camera name slightly (Might have been when Pentax-Hoya became Pentax-Ricoh), I had to change the camera name with Exiftool before I could get it to read the DNG files. At least there was a work around...

I'm contemplating committing fully to open source software. DarkTable seems to be getting quite good... :)

Aftershot Pro is still very quick and straightforward to use for the majority of raw conversion and basic editing with my K20D and GX10, which I still use from time to time.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I was excited today when I read about one you can purchase as a one-off - but then I read it is MAC only. Hopefully one day it will be available for PC usage!
    https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No.
    If you mean a different program to the ones I already use. I don't want to learn another system.
    If its a new edition of something that I do use then I feel that I don't need more functionality.
    Windows 10 or a new camera could force the issue.

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I currently feel in relation to Lightroom and Photoshop. I am still using LR v5.7, having resisted the temptation to upgrade to v6 so far. Also still using Photoshop CS6.

However, after waiting a month or two to let the inevitable bugs in Windows 10 be cured, I may make a belated update from Windows 7 and, once that has settled down, make an even more belated switch to Adobe CC.

At that point, of course, the poll question becomes irrelevant as the software will, thereafter, be updated incrementally rather than as new versions. Not much to get excited about in that!

Eric

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Excited? Well, yes, but not in the usual way. I get quite excited (= angry) about the fact that every now and then, I HAVE to stop using something that has worked perfectly well for me for years, and buy something new, because of (usually unnecessary) incompatibilities with something else I've just bought: a new camera, a new computer. I seldom buy either of those unless the old one breaks, or unless there are VERY CLEAR advantages (e.g. M9 full frame instead of M8 crop).

I also get "excited" in the same way because so much in digital photography is designed or invented by computer nerds, not photographers.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Dear Roger. That is the most un-contentious thing that you have written in years.

20. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I dont get excited about anything in photography anymore! I bet you all think I am a boring old man but I am not really, my last editing update came with my new Epsom R2400 printer, (a few years ago) and before that my editing programme came with the printer before that, all my other editing programmes come free on the cover of various photo mags, I always try and get things right in the camera which means less after processing and as my cameras have got better it seems like I am doing very little to my pictures once the leave the storage card but my pictures are only to please me these days and nobody else!