1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever ask another photographer....

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

... what settings they have used?

For this week's poll we ask - Do you ever ask another photographer what settings they have used? Please vote here

[​IMG]

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Although I voted "No, I can usually work it out for myself" a more accurate reply would be "No, because I'm not taking the same picture, nor am I using the same kit."

Cheers,

R.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I voted "No, I can usually work it out for myself" as that's the nearest but actually it's because there are no other photographers around where I take photos and I can't see why one would need to anyway.

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Way, way back, when I was learning the basics and lacked a light-meter: yes.

Not during the last fifty years, though.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I probably have done at some point and I guess I do look at the settings given in the magazine but beyond that no, not really.

I do remember sometimes looking at the settings quoted for pictures back in the film era and having some doubt about how true many of them were...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

No, and I don't know why magazine bother to print that information either - except for tutorials.

Just listing all the settings doesn't help with learning much - surely it's more important to say why those settings were chosen.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Doesn't really help at all. unless all the conditions are the same.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

When we were in Iceland, sitting at the top of a cold hill we had climbed and waiting (in vain) for the Northern lights to appear from behind that cloud we did discuss exposures - but I can not think of another occasion

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No way. I would never admit that they had exposed better than myself, even if I was wrong.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I suspect the question is less about exposure settings, and more about setting cameras up for AF etc, given the article in the mag.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes, usually at sports events. Often a discussion on when to use manual instead of Av/Tv follows.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yes. Many years ago (30-40) to learn a bit for myself if the information had not been offered as part of the talk. More recently, quite a lot more as sometimes it is useful in helping others with their photo problems. I find I can't always call up the EXIFs for web/forum pics & so have to ask. I cannot vote as nobody thought of that. :(

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have never found it that interesting to know what other photographers might be using. I know what I need to set, to achieve what I have in mind.

Many years ago I supplied phony exposure data to go along with published photographs,when none were forthcoming from the photographers. It seems that publishers have a belief that readers want to see this information. True or not.

I am sure that this is not something that AP would stoop to.
    Though this question makes one wonder...

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

When I started yeah just to get an idea of what did what when X, Y or Z was used. Now I'd more likely ask myself how I'd do similar.

I once took a photo of my hand with a flash blasting through it with all the weird veins showing on the other side. Someone on Fickr asked how I'd done it, I told them exactly how but they could not recreate, even with same settings.

Turns out their hand was too thick.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The photograph illustrating the poll is of AF settings and the article is about camera set-up rather than anything as simple (?) as exposure settings.

I suspect that the multiple choice options of the poll were devised by someone who may not have understood the question.

16. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Same here!

17. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Going by the photo, those settings look very camera specific. Anyone with a different make of camera, probably even a different Canon model may not find delving into that Canon's AF tracking sensitivity controls very helpful.

18. PhotoEcosse

...and, from some of the contributions to this thread, I suspect that some of the respondents did not read the article to which the Poll refers, before responding.

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Hunt low and high, I found no article. A link would be appreciated so I can see what I've been missing.

20. PhotoEcosse

The feature on camera set-ups is on pp 12-17 of the 26 September issue.