1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Do i......

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by aiwa_yamaha, Jun 21, 2007.

1. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Hi

Im off to Uni in september. My dad said he will buy me a laptop. Suggestions to which laptop i should buy out of a laptop or the Apple Imac laptop. My media teacher said there great and i have noticed alot of photographers use Apples. Im used to the good old P.C style though. I use Imacs at school but just never really liked them. Shall i torment myself now for the goodness of the future.

2. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Have a look at Studentcomputers.co.uk - some great deals (at times) on A-grade top- and mid-range refurbs, and on many new laptops. Also Laptopshop.co.uk: I've bought from the first and last one, very satisfied with price and customer service.

Morgan Computers also have good deals time-to-time.

Sorry, I have no advice on models, etc.

.T.

3. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Self-confessed Mac lover here....but, if you have the chance to get a Mac Laptop, you would be stark raving bonkers to turn it down.

Doubly so given that you are a photographer.

Triply so given that you are studying media-related courses.

Not only will it do everything a PC lap-top will do, it will do far more! Heck, if you really want to, you can run Windows on it as well as Mac OS. So, why buy a PC which is just a PC...when you can buy a Mac which is both a Mac and a PC?!

I could list the reason's to chose Mac thing, but this would become a huge post - have a look at the Apple web-site.

Seriously, do not miss the chance!

PS - if you can, wait until October to buy as it will include the latest Mac OS which launches in Oct - saves you £80-£100 on upgrading later.

4. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Could you have a look at pcagain.co.uk for "recondition" and 2nd hand computer/laptop for both O/S's Kingdom.

Someone I know had purchase a G3 laptop from them for £300 and it contains OS 10.3!

5. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Plus you'll get a massive discount if you order it via the college's internal network once you're registered there.

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

If you love Macs, buy a Mac. If Windows is all you know and you know it well enough, stick with Windows.

Remember that a laptop is more expensive to fix than a desktop if it goes wrong when the warranty runs out and anything Apple will cost even more to get fixed if indeed it can be fixed.

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Hmmm, I dont think "if anything goes wrong" should be a major point in the choice... :D How likely is it? It could go wrong on either and I havent seen a huge amount of poorly Mac laptops. This isnt another PC vs Mac war thing, but it doesnt seem a big issue.

I would recommend a Mac as I adore mine, but the best idea would be to go into an Apple store and get a bit more of a feel for them, see if you could get on with them. What did yoiu "not like" about the iMac?

Importantly, what are you doing a course in? If its anything to do with art/media you WILL end up having to work on one anyway at college and in your career, so it might be a good idea to work on the same system yourself.

8. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

How long does the course last? How long is the warranty?

My experience of Apple gear where I work is that when it does break down out of warranty it is usually uneconomic to repair which means buying new again. A far greater proprtion of non-Apple machines inc. laptops can be fixed up to soldier on. Just an observational thing from me.

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Fair enough. Ive yet to come across one breaking down out of warranty, all of ours have behaved very well. The only one that didnt one a second hand one off ebay that went slightly tits up just outside of its warranty but we took it to the Apple store in Brent Cross and they fixed it free anyway.

10. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Whenever I have had anything go wrong with an Apple product, whether in or out of warranty, they have been repaired or replaced with a new model, completely free of charge!

Also, Erm's mention of purchasing via college - damn good idea - my brother did it last year and got a massive reduction on the cost of the lap-top, free "Educational" software and a free ipod thrown in.

11. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

Apple and Windows based computers are just as good as each in other in reality. They can both do the same stuff and use the same hardware. Get whatever you are most comfortable using. If you used Imacs at school and didn't like them that much why get an Apple computer now? It will operate in that way you didn't like. Don't get a computer just because it looks cool. At uni you will be using your computer a lot so get one that you will be happy to use day in and day out.

12. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

Need to use more helpful titles? Yes please.

However to add to the answers, if you wait until you are actually a student you will have access to some much better deals.

Apple require you to use a computer on your university network before they'll let you through to their education pricing.

PC offers tend to be advised when you start the course, if not ask the IT support staff, they'll know what deals that particular university have.

13. aiwa_yamaha

Some good feedback there people, thanks. I am studying Action photography at Truro College. It's a 2 year course which i will then do the 1 year BA degree after. When i went to the college for an interview they had the 20" Apple Imacs so i should consider getting a Mac. I will obviously be using Adobe alot. I need a Laptop for when i am out of college if i'm at my flat and have no laptop = no work done. I'll look into the Imacs.

Cheers guys :)

14. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

To be honest if you can raise the cash the mac makes a better lappy, I invert that for desktops when, though I find macs better built than off the shelf PC's, I always build and upgrade my own bespoke PC's out of the best bits available and prefer the freedoms therein (upgrading a mac desktop can be limited and very damaging to the wallet) but that's not an issue with notebook pc's and the build quality of the Apple product is generally better than the Dell/Compaq/HP etc, now that Apple are using the intel processors you no longer have to take a performance hit either.

One of those Quad cored desktop units could even turn my head...

15. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the Apple education pricing for students applies at colleges as well as Universities.

The amount of discount varies item by item but the last time I bought it was well worth having.

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

If you go for windows rather than mac, make sure you get at least 1GB of memory. Upgrading laptop memory after purchase is sometimes not easy or it can be expensive. In 2002 I bought a Toshiba laptop with just 512MB memory. It worked OK until XP SP2 came out and I installed it. Apparently memory for this laptop is no longer available (I tried over a year ago to get another 512MB) so I am stuck with a very slow, barely able to use because of its speed laptop that has had light use. Laptops are so comparatively cheap now that I'm just hanging on to it. I've even tried picking up a used, similar model off e-bay so I could make 1 reasonable laptop from 2, but they go for silly money. Maybe I should try to sell mine after all

17. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I found the easiest way to up a PC or laptop's RAM is a visit to www.crucial.com and use their system scanner. It looks at your mother board, memory, video card etc. tells you what you have and how best to upgrade.
    They seem to have reasonable prices, and can supply some older types of RAM.

Regards

ZX9

18. aiwa_yamaha

Yeah i'm atleast looking for a 1GB of ram i'm hopefully going to go for 2GB of ram if i am allowed that much money from my dad. Hopefully the student discount will come in handy.

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yup, tried the crucial site and they don't do it either (well, only the same pesky 256 as I already have)

20. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Why not post the exact spec. RAM you are looking for someone must be able to point you in the right direction. If the lap top is that old, any retailer with stock of suitable memory should be glad to get rid it.
    Not knowing the laptop or type of RAM but you need but some older machines would only up to 2 x 512Mb.
    Or you could just look on the bright side and buy a nice new machine with 1 or 2 Gig for less than the cost of adding 512mb when your laptop was new.

Regards

ZX9