1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I post too many photos?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by AdrianSadlier, Sep 24, 2018.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Guys

This is an honest request for feedback on whether I post too many images in the appraisal gallery.

I use the gallery to get genuine feedback on my work - it's one of the very few places (if not the only one) where I feel I can get unbiased feedback on my images.

But I was just going back on my posts and it dawned on me (yes, I am that slow) that I probably outpost most contributors by a wide margin.

Honestly, am I abusing the facility or is it OK to post as many images as I do? I would appreciate your feedback on this as I value this resource and don't want to abuse it.

And thanks for all the genuine feedback to date - I believe it has helped me improve over the few years I have been posting there. The negative just as much (or more so) than the positive.

Kind regards

Adrian

Mark101 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Adrian, it's a photography forum. If anything, the rest of us probably post too little.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

This.

4. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

I like seeing your photos :)

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep, I go along with everyone else posts too little. Was not always like that. Go back 10 years and it was a much livelier place, but the "if you're happy with it, then it's great" attitude was far less of a prevailing view then.

dream_police and AdrianSadlier like this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Post as often as you like! The difficulty I find with giving appraisal feedback is that, because you are a far better photographer than I, it is often difficult to find something constructive to say. I do look at each one you post even if I don't comment.

EightBitTony and AdrianSadlier like this.
  7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would say that you do not post to excess. You do have some interesting ideas and concepts, I do find some of your monos a bit on the dark side, but that is another matter really.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No you don't. I agree with everyone, we all post too little, or even not at all for a lot of members, so carry on.

AdrianSadlier and EightBitTony like this.
  9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Absolutely - RovingMike should post something of his own for appraisal...then leap in immediately and suggest that he tries cropping from the inside outwards, advise a return visit to 'interrogate the subject' and finish up by asking how it'd look as a square crop!

Cheers, Jeff

PS - Only kidding, I value every piece of criticism - good or bad - that I receive whenever I post something in Appraisal.

AdrianSadlier and beatnik69 like this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There are only a small handful of people who post though, either in appraisals, exhibition or comps. As Mike has said, it has greatly reduced from what it was years ago. It is a shame really. I wonder what the reason is?

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Short answer: no.
    Comments including the term "photo bombing" are unlikely to encourage people to post their pictures.

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Same reasons every Internet based 'group' fades over time. New people find other places first, older people move on, critical mass decreases, people are inspired to post less, and decline ensues.

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Some rather OTT, but not quite serious reasons for not posting in Appraisals...
    1. All opinions will be stated as facts. Even though they contradict each other.

2. Someone will say it is just a snapshot or record shot. The word ‘competent’ may be used, but only in a patronising way.

3. Or they will say that there is ‘a shot there’, but you’ve missed it. They won’t tell you what the shot is.

4. Or it is ‘clichéd’.

5. Several will state it should be cropped, but will suggest totally different ways to do so.

6. Or that you should have taken several steps left or right.

7. There will probably be an argument about whether it would be better in B&W (or colour, if it already is); for some reason, no-one will suggest sepia.

8. And one about whether the background is 'context' or a 'distraction'.

9. Someone will complain that the composition of the picture doesn't conform with 'the rules'; e.g. rule of thirds, golden mean, odd numbers, presence of human interest, or whatever. *

10. Or, if you have followed all these rules, that there are times to ignore them and this, of course, is one of those times.

11. Someone will state that because he (it is usually a ‘he’) doesn't get the point of the picture, it is therefore a failure.

12. Even if they admit it is good, there will be a “but...”

13. Any use of HDR will cause at least one person to froth at the mouth/have a fit of the vapours/whatever.

14. As will selective colouring.

15. Any copyright mark that can be seen without a microscope will be considered too big.

16. The most vehement of the critics will probably not have posted any of their own pictures for appraisal/criticism.
    ;);););););)

This might also give you a laugh too...

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

No.

Do I like all your pictures? Of course not. Am I pleased to see most of them? Yes. As for the ones that do nothing for me, the key words are "for me".

As for why others post less, I suspect that there are at least three reasons. First, excessively "camera clubby" analyses from at least one person. Second, it's often quite difficult and time consuming to post really helpful comments. Third, some people are quite thin-skinned and want only praise. If they get anything else, they either argue or say, "Well that's what I wanted" or "I take pictures just for myself." The latter is patently untrue or they wouldn't bother to show anyone else.

EDIT: Steve analyzes things well in the post above.

Unless there is a simple-to-fix flaw, my general rule is, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Not always outstandingly helpful, maybe, but sometimes encouraging.

Cheers,

R.

AdrianSadlier and peterba like this.
  15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

You probably only notice because so few other people seem to post. I can't remember the last time I put an image up for appraisal. Generally speaking I know what I was hoping for and if I didn't get it I work on it until I do or if it's too late, I delete it and get on with something else. I don't feel I need someone else to point out the flaws. But then I am not 'often' making images to stand alone. They are usually part of a longer project. I"m quite sure if I had posted some of the work I did for my degree, there'd be choruses of 'not in focus', 'rule of thirds', 'messy distracting background' but they worked for what they were for and I knew that. I was more interested in whether collectively they told the story than in whether there were things I could go back and improve/

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

All of which isn't to say there's anything wrong with posting images and looking for feedback. I just re-read what I wrote and realised it might sound like I was criticising those who do post. I'm not. If someone feels they're getting something constructive from doing it, then crack on. Besides, I like looking at other people's images.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Me too. I'd really like to see more in the Exhbition Lounge. So far as Appraisal goes I'll either [Like] a shot or not. Telling someone how to "improve" a picture is not something I'm prepared to do because it's their picture not mine.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

However... Putting a picture in Appraisals is ASKING for critique/criticism/whatever. And even if one's critique/criticism/whatever is disagreed with, it might provide food for thought - and not only for the person asking.

But chacun à son goût, as they say down the ol' Frog and Nightgown...

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Keep 'em coming, Adrian.

S

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Simple. I haven't yet taken anything worth appraising! I'm good at fault finding and don't see the point in posting poor work.