1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need this lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by CameraCompanion, Aug 9, 2017.

1. CameraCompanion

CameraCompanion Well-Known Member

Hi all, I hope you're having a wonderful day wherever you are!

I am an amateur photographer and professional filmmaker with my own DSLR kit.
    I was wondering if I could have some help deciding what to do next with regards to my lenses.

I have a Canon 60D, an EF-S 10-18mm, a nifty fifty and an EF-S 55-250mm, I also occasionally use a vintage (MF) 28mm f2.8 with an adapter.

Recently, I have found myself feeling as though I am missing a certain focal length/style in my shots. I viewed a great little film shot on the new 80D with the 24mm Pancake lens, it has certainly caught my eye as a go-to prime lens for filmmaking but I wondered if the 80D was the bigger factor for the film's sharpness.

I have a big film project coming up soon and I would love to know what my fellow photographers and filmmakers think.

Do I keep working with my kit or look at switching or adding to my lenses?

Kind Regards,

CameraCompanion

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about filming. The 24 mm on a Canon crop-camera is about 38 mm focal length equivalent so a useful general purpose lens and a gap in what you have. In old money a 40 mm on a film camera approximates the human field of view.

3. CameraCompanion

Now that is a very interesting fact I did not know :) I was hoping the 24mm would be a good general purpose lens and being a prime, it's even more ideal for filming.
    Thanks Pete!

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I have the lens and it's a little gem. I don't do video, but I'm impressed with the stills I take with it on my 7d2. As Pete said, the focal length gives a field of view similar to the human eye and given it's compact size and low price it's handy just to pop in your pocket. There's a few examples of what I've taken here https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2mV172

5. CameraCompanion

These are lovely photos Martin! Thanks for the advice :)

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It doesn't do anything of the sort; the human field of view is about 220 degrees. What it does do, at normal shooting and viewing distances, is give a perspective similar to what we see with our eyes, which is rather different.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well according to Cambridge Colour it around 130 degrees. But one eye is considered equal to 43mm lens on full frame sensor. :)

And we might only be around 15MP as well :p LOL

So a 40mm on full frame camera would be close :)

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Try reading it properly. That's just the area of overlap of both eyes.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say there, and I strongly suspect you don't either.

PentaxManiac likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. My sloppy writing.

10. CameraCompanion

Thanks for the link! A really interesting page :)

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Another point would be that the 60D has the excellent 18mpix sensor but it was not designed to do video. It can but with the 70D and the new hybrid sensor the camera it self was more video orientated. Better autofocusing, software and layout. So I thin that although the 40mm is an excellent lens and well worth buying it probably is only part of the quality increase you are seeing.

12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Nick, I am not saying anything Cambridge in Colour is LOL

Hence the link :)

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You do not need this lens but it would be desirable. I am a Nikon user so can't be too specific about Canon products. If Nikon produced such a neat and decent quality 24mm f2.8 pancake at modest price then I would buy it. I usualy use C size cameras but still own and sometimes use FX. I would use such a lens on both.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Have you considered the efs version (non-is)? I don't have one but the reviews are good and stm lenses are supposed to benefit video and it is cheaper.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That's the lens the OP is referring to. It's the only 24mm pancake Canon make.

16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of the Canon EF 24mm f2.8 IS USM Lens which is not a pancake I accept.

17. CameraCompanion

Thanks Snorri, yes I found out recently that the 60D wasn't primarily built for video :( as I was more of a photographer before I purchased the body I was sold by the pentaprism and the flippable screen (amongst other things). Unless I pick a FF camera body, the next one on my wish list is the 80D.

18. CameraCompanion

Thank you for this advice, really helpful! I agree, I don't think it's a lens I desperately need but I think it would be a nice addition to my kit especially for the quality you're getting for the price :)

19. CameraCompanion

On the contrary, I did wonder, does anyone know if the EF 24mm USM (non pancake) lens would be the better option?

20. CameraCompanion

Thanks for all the advice so far, my main concern right now is will the 24mm cause me to use my 10-18 less since it's a 'wide' lens, not as wide as 10mm but framed well for nice general wide shots.

And I can't decide if the reasons I have so far for buying this lens (which are; for filming, low light and general photography) justify the purchase?