1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I let go or keep

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by pixelpuffin, Jun 14, 2016.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Almost 20yrs ago I traded in a bagful of canon pro gear and walked out with the following

Used M6 Panda - Boxed Mintish
    BNiB Summicron 35mm Asph F2 hood, filter (Black)
    Used 90mm F2.8 TeleElmarit M boxed/pristine
    Leica M6 Handgrip
    Used Leica Trinovid 7x42BA Marine pristine.

The 90mm was never used
    The 35mm f2 Asph was fitted to the M6 and used to finish a part exposed slide film....after which it was all boxed back up, placed in my safe and has remained there untouched for the past 2 decades!!

I just didn't get on with the rangefinder system and so went out and purchased another EOS kit.

I'm now in a quandary to sell everything except the trinovids. Originally I thought of keeping it, especially after the arrival of my young son 9yrs ago. However I've amassed so many "heirlooms" I need to thin out my sons future inheritance.

So, do I keep for future investment or do I sell?
    Originally I was going to keep this and let go of my OM system. But having just checked the recent eBay completed listings for OM Zuiko lenses I'm more inclined to keep the Zuikos and flog the Leica.

Any advice would be greatly welcome

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sell. You never liked the stuff. You never used it. You formed no attachment to it. And it ain't that great an investment. Sure, my Summilux is worth several times what I paid for it, but I've had the pleasure of using it for decades. There's not much pleasure in sterile investments, and besides, leaving the Leica unused won't do it any good. Check the finder mask selection lever, for example. Do the masks move smoothly, or do they stick?

Cheers,

R.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Hi Roger

Masks??? No idea...
    I'll check on Friday (early finish)

Just discovered a far bigger problem...I can't find the damn safe key!! It isn't where I thought it was....0h Lord!!

How would you sell?? Last time I sold on eBay was a few years back. I purchased a Rolleiflex SLX from a collector just after leaving college with a view to submitting work to image banks. But instead went out and got a job! The whole kit fetched just over £1000 I walked away with less than £750!!
    Listing fees,
    eBay commission
    PayPal commission
    Then later got hit again by Luxembourg fees to?????

So, pretty much put me off eBay. If I trade in for canon gear, I'll get ripped off both ways ( bad memories of that too!!)

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you don't like the gear and moreover don't use it, you may as well sell it. Sitting locked away unused won't do it a power of good anyway.

How to sell? Probably commission sale since you don't like Ebay. Ffordes is one who operate this system, commission is 20%, or they will like others buy in, but you do receive less this way. I don't complain about Ebay fees personally, the bit that riles me is that they now take commission on p&p charges.