1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do cyclists have to be slim to wear Lycra?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Aug 29, 2017.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Straight unfortunately. Although the records say, with my warmest thanks to the very kind Len Ingram who keeps the Hetchins register.

"Your frame is listed as a Experto Crede Model 2 for road racing. It is a 24” curly so cannot be a Plus as they are all straight to the best of my knowledge. It was sent to a dealer for resale, Don Farrell of Burnt Oak Edgware on the 3rd Feb 1962 price trade(-22 1/2%) £16 10s which is a bit above the normal for that time so maybe the different forks and the chrome plating were extra. "

"Hetchins records which were filled in by hand sometimes had errors, yours is just one, recorded as curly but is in fact a straight. Nothing strange about it."​

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Forks? How many front wheels did it have?

3. PeteRob

One and one back one too. Difficulty in identifying model - the frame number says one thing (curved rear forks for which Hetchins were famous) whereas they are straight but the pattern on the front forks were also not consistent with the model.

daft_biker likes this.
  4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I expect he's right but I had a similar conversation with the head of hydraulics for a famous (VERY famous) F1 team. He admitted that he's searching for very tiny improvements in, say, gear change speed. Considered in isolation the improvement might be tiny but if that improvement gives the team an edge over other teams then it's worth it. At the top level even a very tiny edge is worthwhile.

MickLL

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I was on a visit to RAF Coningsby several years ago. I asked why the aircraft of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight were painted with gloss paint instead of matte, only to be informed that gloss paint gives them a higher top speed and, overall, a better speed to fuel use ratio. It makes sense when you think about it, but I was surprised that such a thing was taken into consideration for the Memorial Flight.

Cheers, Jeff

PS - I speculated at the time that the gloss paint makes the aeroplanes easier to clean as well, but the guide taking me around wasn't willing to admit to that one!

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Some people do this to the extreme.....like the complete and utter FW who was behind me in my car a couple of days ago.
    I was doing 20mph (the limit) and a cyclist got so far up my chuff he could have wiped my arse. He couldn't have been more than a couple of metres away. He has been seen doing this with other cars before, and sooner or later he is going to become an ex-cyclist.
    The road I was on is often crossed by children etc who aren't the best at looking before they go, and there are so many junctions that I have had to put the anchors out on more than one occasion because of cars pulling out. If I had done this the other day, he would have been dead. No two ways about it, he would have hit a ton and a half of jeep with his head, and that poxy little ice cream cone he had stretched over his skull would have done him no good whatsoever.

Cyclists complain about car drivers - often with good reason, but they (especially the lycra clad for some reason) make the most god-awful FUBARs with their riding, going all over the place, two abreast (or more) etc. etc. that some of them really need to be taken to A&E and be forced to look at the results of such bloody stupidity.

dream_police and steveandthedogs like this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This is, of course, totally off topic but; it was found during the Second World War that a matt black aeroplane shone like silver in a searchlight beam hence night fighters were then painted gloss black.

It is also an unfortunate fact that aircraft painted with gloss paint don't stay glossy for very long, dust and other matter in the air soon takes the shine off at high speeds, at 250Kts water is somewhat abrasive.

Zou likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It was called the 'marginal gains' project for a reason. Some really random stuff too, like where to place the seams on the race suits. I think the feeling now is that any gains now would be too miniscule, so expect GB dominance in the velodrome to diminish as everyone else catches up with the technology.

Zou likes this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Was this on your own bike? If so, tilt the nose of the saddle down slightly. Padded shorts won't make much difference as you shouldn't experience numbness like that over a 15km cycle. I cycled 97 miles on Sunday and didn't have a problem like that. I did however have the same problem when I cycled from Belfast to Dublin with a saddle that was a little nose high.

dream_police likes this.
  10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Pudendal nerve and one of the questions that is part of the work up for patients with erectile dysfunction is "Do you ride a bike and if yes does it have a racing saddle?"

Roger Hicks and dream_police like this.
  11. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Fork/forks is an interesting word. At the table, we regard a fork as being a single implement, irrespective of how many tines it may have. But when we talk about bikes, then we tend to use forks as either singular or plural. Each bike has a front forks, rather than a front fork but, if we refer to both the front and rear forks then we still say forks. Then think about a fork (not forks) in the road which can divide into the right fork and the left fork. Forking odd.

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Luckily he seemed ok this morning when I woke up.;)

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

That's far more information than we need!

I really wish that I scrub my eyeballs clean after reading that comment.

Cheers, Jeff

LesleySM and dream_police like this.
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. Yes it was my own bike, admittedly only a cheap one from carrefour that I keep in Spain. Will try that with the saddle when I'm next out in a couple of weeks.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's also a case of getting used to it. My initial 'threshold' was about an hour/15 miles, now can do 2 to 2.5 hours without padded shorts (on my mountain bike anyway - the saddle on the road bike is far more minimal. Still comfy, but needs the shorts for anything over an hour).

beatnik69 likes this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My bikes all have a single fork at the front and the rear triangle made up up the seat tube, seat stay and chain stay. A wishbone seat stay may look like a front fork but it isn't the same.

Forks is still plural on bikes and it is a common mistake to see it being used instead of the singular.

17. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged I'm afraid. I'm 51 and a lot more than 8 stone! It,s comfortable and a lot less drag (I ride far and fast, so it's a big factor) and you 'look the part

daft_biker - my good road shorts have a lot more padding than cycling specific underwear. Even my MTB baggies have actually.

I'm the tall one! This was the occasion of me arriving in Nice, having ridden there from the normandy coast
    [​IMG]

I probably have more of an excuse (if I need one) when racing in Time trials

[​IMG]

DaveM399 and daft_biker like this.
  18. PeteRob

I hope there was a quick recovery from the arrow through the head of the gent on the right, with the "chip" on his shoulder. :)

Pleased to see you look where you are going. When I trialled one of the lads came off a round-a-bout head-down and rode into a parked car with its boot open. He lost a lot of teeth and broke his jaw.

PhilW and Zou like this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Is that Bulk and Skull in the water?:D

20. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A swinging back end was before your time, then? The first one I had was on a Fanny B. Prior to that we just had rigid frames.