1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do cyclists have to be slim to wear Lycra?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41081756
    I would think that male cyclists do not wear lycra shorts to enhance their bellys and neither do female cyclists wear lycra tops to enhance fat hips. I do have hilarious photographs that illustrate the points wonderfully but I dare not show them because the subjects might be more than a little upset. Why would anyone seeing a bloke in cycling clothes want evidence of circumcision or not, thrust into their eyes anywhere, never mind on a public highway.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's aerodynamic y'know.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

What, circumcision? Less drag.:)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

According to my local wind-tunnel guru, that's b0££0ck$.

5. dream_police

Depends how much it flaps in the wind though I suppose.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hence the use of skin-tight lycra. Keep up.

7. dream_police

ahh yes. Sorry.:)

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

too much information.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Like this:
    [​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek:

RovingMike and dream_police like this.
  10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It never really clicked with me until now - but that first picture is of a bunch of Poles....

Cheers, Jeff

DaveM399 and Zou like this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No worse than those middle-aged surfers in wetsuits, or blokes wearing Speedo swimming trunks or some of the stuff some women wear to the gym. I'm not sure the skin tight stuff serves any purpose for leisure cyclists. I really don't get the need to wear brightly coloured replica team kits though. I remember walking into a cafe that was full of fat, middle-aged motorcyclists wearing replica racing leathers . I also remember the silence when I asked the waitress if there was a Power Rangers convention on.

12. dream_police

I have just googled to try and find some photo's to better Zou. I really wish I hadn't. There are some shocking sights and probably more at home on a different type of forum. I would also like to say that of a few I'm actually quite jealous:eek:

Zou likes this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Exactly. Helps keep folk fat and lets them show it off.;)

Tracksuit bottoms and a hooded top does me. Or goretex when it gets a bit cold for getting wet.

14. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Nope, It comes in different sizes and is very elastic...

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Since I damaged my knee, my ability to exercise has been limited and as a result I have gained more weight than I'm happy with. I wouldn't ordinarily be seen dead in lycra. However. My go-to trousers for photography purposes are lycra yoga trousers. They're black which is my preferred colour for working in the studio, they are stretchy which is helpful when attempting to get into awkard positions to get the shot sometimes, and they don't flap about and make me snag on things. They're probably not all that flattering. I am past caring.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed the bio-magnetic properties of Lycra? It seems to drag the wearers into a great clump that prevents other road users from overtaking the wearers. Most odd. :cool:

dream_police and PhotoEcosse like this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's science's and nature's way of saying gtf to motorists. Karma etc.

Scphoto likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

They should all be carrying green tree frogs? :confused:

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I won't repeat my opinion of cyclists - the last time I did so I invited a shitstorm down upon myself, the likes of which the World has seldom seen.

I will, however, comment on lycra cycling gear. Many years ago I asked a cyclist what the point was. I forwarded the opinion that streamlining themselves to lower wind resistance was all well and good when competing in time trials or road races but that it seemed a bit of overkill for riding up and down Whitworth Road in Rochdale whilst carefully swerving to avoid grids, manhole covers and leaping up onto the pavements to avoid stopping at traffic lights.

The answer that I was given actually made sense.

It seems - or so I was told - that lycra cycling gear has two principal qualities that makes it useful: Firstly, the 'bottom' part is slightly padded and secondly, the 'crotch' area is lined with chamois to absorb groinal perspiration.

Leaving aside the lurid colours, team advertising and the sight of folds of flesh folded into skin-tight lycra I have to admit that the explanation that I was given satisfies me that the wearing of such costumes is more than just an affectation and that it serves a useful purpose for regular long-distance cyclists regardless of their body shape.

Cheers, Jeff

Geren and Zou like this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If you live somewhere with regular headwinds the tightness of lycra gear really does make a difference - you don't feel the wind pulling at you quite as much and every bit of effort goes into moving the bike forwards. There's interesting research on the benefits of aero which show even over short distances the gains are noticeable. For example if I ride to work it's about 11 miles, and my ride time varies by about 30 seconds to a minute, so fairly consistent. If I was wasting energy on fighting the wind it can add several minutes to the ride, so every little helps.

Scphoto likes this.