1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMC LX3: A Blast from the Past

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Rolex1601, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

When the Panasonic DMC LX3 was released in 2008, Top Gear on BBC 2 had just started their Series 11. Back then there weren't whole lot of enthusiasts compact cameras, the ones that got the most attention were the Canon PowerShot G10 and the Nikon CoolPix P6000 each trying to battling out as to who had the most megapixels.

Panasonic took a different route, instead they used a 10 megapixel CCD 1/1.63" sensor mated to a 2.5 X Zoom Leica Vario-DC Summicron 24mm - 60mm at f2.0 - f2.8 Aspherical lens with a unique aspect ratio feature, that allowed the user to select between 16:9, 3:2 and 4:3.

The exterior of this slim, black camera with chrome accents was that the outer shell is made out of aluminum. On the top, you have a black selector mode switch for iA (Intelligent Auto), Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, Custom 1, Custom 2, Scene Mode and Movie, a Focus Button and shutter release.

There is even an optional Optical Viewfinder and a built-in flash. The back of the camera you have a 3-inch 460,000 dot LCD Screen, a camera and play back switch, a little joy-stick, AF/AE Lock, a 4-way Command button, Menu, Display, Delete.

I had customized mine with a vintage Canon 85mm External Optical Viewfinder, Panasonic DMW-LA4 lens adapter with 46mm B+W F-Pro UV Filter, a 46mm lens hood, Panasonic CLX-3 black leather case and top it off with the DWM-LW46 Wide Angle Conversion Lens with 0.75 X magnification and two batteries and a charger with a 32G SDHC Card.

Set the camera into Raw +JPEG with -2 EV and increase the contrast to +1, Sharpness -2, Saturation 0 and Noise Reduction -1 in Standard Film Mode, this camera can still keep up with today's generation of high end point and shoots.

The best part of this camera is that it is Made in Japan, which is a rarity these days as many manufacturers have outsourced their plants in the Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, Malaysia and the list goes on.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A decent enough piece of kit in my opinion but not a patch on the TZ series. I’ve used the the TZ7, TZ40 and now the TZ70. Panasonic got them right and the wide range zooms have been much more use to me than a lens which manages f1.7 at the wide angle only.

Rolex1601 likes this.
  3. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

I do apologize, Andrew that I didn't mention about the TZ series of cameras by Panasonic is because I wasn't familiar with them and that I have never owned one.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I finally put my LX3 on Ebay last year and got a goodly amount for it. Really looked the part, but I was never convinced by the Venus Engine malarkey.

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, within the last couple of hours a chap has turned up at my door to deliver a Leica D-Lux 3 to me, which is built on the same chassis as the DMC LX2.

I hadn't realised how tiny it would be!

Anyway, I'm wandering down to town this evening with this and my other new purchase to try them both out in the evening sunlight - followed by a refreshing pint or two...

Cheers, Jeff

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It wil also be interesting to see how well it does in the low light levels of the pub.If you set it right you might even pass it around your friends to take a few snaps. Then we could vote on who's snaps were best.

7. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I still use my LX3, it is often in my pocket when I’m out and about.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

'A Blast from the Past'? It's only an 11 year old model: many Forum members own and use cameras much older than this.
    If it does what you want, there's no sensible reason to replace it.

Roger_Provins likes this.