1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLSR Microphone for use in Sports Hall

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by jezdawes, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jezdawes

jezdawes New Member

Hi
    I have a Sony RX10iii and I plan to use it for some videoing of basketball in a sports hall. When I video using the internal mic it's not so great but the main problem I have is that the mic picks up my breathing and anything I say about the play which can get me in to trouble when the video is viewed by players or their families! I have posted the videos without sound but it just isn't the same. Therefore I am looking for a microphone that will either attach to the camera or sit on its own tripod near the court. Do shotgun microphones reject any sound such as my voice from the rear, even if they're mounted on the camera? Any recommendations are much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have one of these

http://www.inta-audio.com/microphon...aHAB0KKRqkuQ5U3eaSc_sCxo2l3yQPwhoCg70QAvD_BwE

Which I've found to work very well at eliminating breathing sounds - particularly if you also purchase the dead cat to go with it. However it probably will still pick up your voice if you speak while close to the camera. I have alternatively mounted it onto a stand and/or 'boom' arm nearer the action adn further away from me but then I've hooked it up to a Zoom recorder rather than recording the audio to the camera.

3. jezdawes

jezdawes New Member

Thanks for the advice. So after reading lots of reviews and advice it looks like a shotgun mic mounted to the camera or externally on a tripod will be the best option for me. I'll give it a go and see how I get on.
    Thanks for your help.

Geren likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

You're welcome - good luck!