1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Tripod

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by RobertCoombes, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Recently there has been some discussion on this forum with regard to tripods. When I was young and skint I bought a Werra3 to record my young family. Tripods were a bit expensive for a good support and so I asked my Father to make me one. I have since bought a Manfrotto. They both weigh 3.0 kg with heads, they both extend to 1960mm high, but the Manfrotto folds to 150mm shorter. The Coombes is risky on polished floors, otherwise I may have wasted my money.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Brilliant!

Getting tempted to try one myself...

Although I think you may have wasted your money, a slip-on block with a bit of inner tube glued on and slipped on the bottom of the legs would have been cheaper :). Or a rubber door-stop.

S

3. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I forgot to date this tripod, it was 1966.

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Excellent!

For a couple of years, I used a surveyor's tripod, bought at a car boot sale for £2, to which I fitted a home made 1/4" adapter. It was incredibly stable but I started to notice that I was walking at a 45 degree angle from carrying it. I sold it to a friend for £10 and the last time I heard from him he was still using it as the fixed base for his astronomical telescope.

:D