1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DigitaPhotoPro (DPP) 4 & AF point display

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by El_Sid, Sep 26, 2019.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I download a large number of JPEG images from my 80D. As is often the case I used the Quick Check function asses and rate them. In past (with my 20D & 40D) I have selected the option to view the AF points on screen as this often gives a clue as to why the picture is a bit iffy on focus. I was very surprised to discover the images from the 80D do not appear to support this function - the option to select the AF point display is available and can be selected and deselected at will but regardless of setting no AF points appear...:confused:

Has anyone else encountered this with the 80D (or any other model)? If so did you find a solution? I have asked Canon Support about this but so far their reply has been less than helpful...

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Are you using BBF?

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Assuming you mean back button focus then no though I can't see that having any effect on the non appearance of the AF point display in DPP...

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Were you using the focus points? If it was focussing off the sensor (live-view) then there may be no info. to share.

5. Bazarchie

If I use BBF on my Canons the AF points do not show in DPP or other software which apparently is normal.

If you are not using BBF then I would expect the AF points to show. Perhaps there is a setting that needs changing.

6. Bazarchie

How about:

Have you activated the lens distortion correction? If that is turned on, then the AF points won't be shown.

7. PeteRob

That sounds perverse. I'll try mine and see. I don't see why the button used should make a difference. I thought only Canon DPP could show this information.

8. Bazarchie

I will be interested in your results. I usually use a LR plug-in for AF points.

9. PeteRob

It'll be a while, I'll PM you when I look.

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'll have to check. I hadn't realised that distortion correction kills the AF point display for JPEGs as I usually use raw. Apparently the chromatic aberration correction option has the same effect...

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Confirms what Bazarchie said earlier. I shall check the camera over the week end to see if this might be the cause.

I never had this trouble with the 40D but then that's a way less complicated camera...:)

13. Bazarchie

I still have a soft spot for the 40D.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Probably the best of the series. I had a 10D, 20D and finally a 40D. Then I went to FF.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I stall have it though I fear it hasn't seen action since I bought the 80D...:(

I have to agree - even though it only had 2Mp more than the 20D (I still have that too) the image seemed much better resolved and it was my main camera for most of the last 10 years...:)

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Getting back to the question in hand...

The issue is resolved and yes it is the Distortion Correction function that was the cause. I had a play with it Saturday morning. Tuned off all the in-camera lens corrections and then turned them back on shot by shot until the AF point disappeared and it was only when I turned the Distortion Correction back on that the AF point vanished, turn it off again and the AF points come back, turn it on again and the AF points vanish.

Used it in action with distortion off all Saturday afternoon and every JPEG shows the AF points on request.

Happy bunny now...:)

Thanks all

Bazarchie and EightBitTony like this.