1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital manipulation - right or wrong. You decide here.

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, May 6, 2007.

1. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

It depends what it is trying to be. If a piece of journalism, then it's a lie and wrong. If a piece of art. then fully justified. This has little to do with digits though, whoever said the camera cannot lie has never worked in a dark room.

2. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

Although not mentioned in the question there was also the 'legs behind the hording' shot. To my mind whilst that was questionable and, whilst I don't think it should have been doctored as a journalistic shot, it didn't affect the main focus of the photo.

With the basketball it is the main focus of the photo, and there wasn't a ball in the photo as taken. Putting one in is totally unjustified.

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

If it porports to be factual reportage, then it should be just that. Adjusting contrast or brightness is one thing, manipulation to change the meaning is another.

I think that losing his job was a bit harsh, a good telling off and suspension for a week would have been enough in my book.

4. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

From the page linked to Damien's post
    There should be no manipulation of such images. How can you trust what you see if manipulation of journalistic images is allowed. There has to be integrity of the images to report things fairly, otherwise you end up with propaganda. You have to draw the line and the line should be no manipulation otherwise standards slip, more slight manipulations are allowed and eventually you cannot trust anything.

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

By an large, I would say that the greatest risk to twisting the truth comes from biased editors and journalists rather than the tog.

Graeme

6. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Yes! Alright. I know. But I was referring to photography.

Why is everyone being so bloody pedantic?

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

By an large, I would say that the greatest risk to twisting the truth comes from biased editors and journalists rather than the tog.

I'd agree there, their reputation is a lot more tainted than that of photographers, I would not mind betting that through selective cropping etc, some Tog's images have ended up misrepresenting the scene that was originally portrayed, the Tog has been villified and yet the Editor has evaded the resulting flack.

8. Captainpenguin

Captainpenguin Active Member

Totally wrong using PS to remove little blemishes such as a crisp packet in a landscape is ok but adding or removing major items within a shot should never be allowed

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

To me that's all irrelevant. He's proved himself a cheat and therefore not to be trusted - end of story.

Although Damien's post had no more detail I gather, from other sources, that the guy is a 'serial offender' which rather goes to confirm my opinion.

But as you say I suspect we will have to agree to disagree.

MickLL

10. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Definitely wrong, especially in a journalist context. Newspapers should report and show the truth, nothing else. Unfortunately many newspapers have very low standards and very little integrity, especially here in the UK, although I suspect that most press photographers have higher standards that do most editors and journalists. Yes, the photographer did deserve to lose his job.

Terry.

11. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

Would a crop that removes the ball be wrong?

All images are to a greater or lesser extent a manipulation, when we frame our shot we decide to include something within the frame and exclude something else.

National Geographic moved the pyramids in one front cover shot. The excuse they gave was 'it was just the same as if the photographer had moved the camera position'
    And i am not so sure this is a digital question -
    We all remember the fairies at the bottom of the garden :rolleyes:

For myself, i do not believe we should deliberately fool neither the viewer nor the perception of the photographs meaning.
    Some people would describe this as 'photofiction' rather than photography!

the latest Spiderman movie has a digital manipulation sub plot :cool:

Peter

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I have less of a problem with manipulating images if they have been shot to be manipulated. Vision of the photographer and all that.

In the basketball pic it looks like the photographer has been concentrating on the expressions on the players faces and has been unaware of where the ball is. If this guy is supposed to be a pro at photographing a ball sport he's missed a fundamental thing IMO and is not fit to be getting paid for that. Sack him and get somebody that can photograph balls in ball sports.