1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Art

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by MickLL, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Retinette

Retinette Member

Capturing reality with a camera is sometimes relatively straightforward and occasionally even easy. But turning reality into photographic art is much more challenging. Not least because there are so many different - but equally valid - views on what constitutes art.

I'd prefer to spend time having a few pints with an artist than with a mere photo taker.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Elegantly phrased!

Cheers,

R.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

High self esteem, surely, if others don't have as high an opinion as you do.

I can look back on many pictures that I was quite happy with 40+ years ago, but that did not attract the critical acclaim I thought they warranted.

Now I can see why. Dull, boring, literal -- even when they were technically adequate, which wasn't always the case. Of course some were technically "inadequate", but in those days, I was rarely brave enough to recognize that.

Cheers,

R.

4. VampyreVenom

VampyreVenom Well-Known Member

I've never had high self esteem and get praise I feel isn't justified. I say low self esteem because years of bullying at school meant I learned to live with my capabilities however poor they may be.

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The Port Talbot results came out last night, Kate. Did you enter that one?

I managed to scrape 4 acceptances from 8 entries, but no awards. Oddly enough, given our earlier discussions on this thread, it was my "straight" photographs that did better than my arty-farty offerings this time.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes!
    I only entered 4 and got 2 acceptances, so I was happy! The day I get an award I'll probably die from the shock. lol
    I entered only the open colour. I entered 2 arty-farty and 2 straight.
    I got acceptances on one of each style, although the other 'straight' came very close.

Maybe the tide is turning!

Kate
    Well done you! You obviously normally get awards? Wow! Please PM me with your name, if you don't mind too much. Mine is here for all to see - either Kate or Catriona Ferris, depending on my mood at the time.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well, I'm happy. Just got the Tallaght Salon catalogue and although it was just an acceptance, it was a high score too - and they've printed it in the catalogue. Ghost Ships, if anyone else got the catalogue. :D
    Kate
    (Catriona Ferris)