1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did those old remedies really work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, May 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I was thinking about 'the old ways' of doing things - as I thought about making some curd cheese, since my favourite maker has stopped producing it.

Putting whites out on bushes and the grass to bleach them
    Always hanging clothes on a line to dry (I still do!)
    Honey on any sore bit to make it better
    Hot toddy if you were feeling unwell - then off to bed (from childhood!)
    Syrup of figs for constipation.
    Dock leaves for use if you got caught short whist out for a long walk!
    Dock sap if you got stung by nettles

Just some I remember. Any you remember, which might just have worked?

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

You might be interested that a couple of years ago I was in hospital whilst they sorted a nasty spot on my leg and when I was sent home they provided a honey linctus to rub into it whenever the dressing was changed.

Don't know about the rest

Catriona likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I remember the hot toddy and for an upset stomach Collis Browne mixture.
    A daily spoonful of malt (I flatly refused cod liver oil)
    Never suffered with constipation, although I do remember syrup of figs but never had it.
    We rarely use the washing line, probably because we rarely have weather good enough, so most stuff is tumble dried. If the weather is nice some stuff is line dried, but never towels.

Not a remedy, but a money saver, was the hair combs that had blades in so my mum could cut my hair. Not a good idea!

Catriona likes this.
  4. RogerMac

Ah yes. We were given malt in the war and it was delicious

Learning and Catriona like this.
  5. dream_police

These

[​IMG]

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Not allowed outside clothes lines here, just a contraption over the bath, so the tumble dryer gets most of it dry

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Don't know about the effectiveness of dock leaves, but we knew what it meant if you came home with one sock.

Craig20264 and Catriona like this.
  8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Don't get the dock and nettle mixed up...

S

Catriona likes this.
  9. steveandthedogs

According to JKJ, the best cure for exhaustion caused by liver problems was a clump on the head.

S

10. dream_police

A friend of mine was out one night in town when he got caught short on the way home, early hours of the morning. No toilets around. He had to go behind a big biffa bin. He said he had to decide whether to use his socks or his undies. He said his undies were really nice and a good make, so he went home with no socks at all.

Catriona likes this.
  11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The sun would bleach the whites naturally but it would probably take a lot of repeated exposure.
    Clothes on the line will definitely work better, especially on a warm day if there is a bit of a breeze to carry away the evaporated water.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well I still resort to the restorative effects of a hot toddy when I'm bunged up with cold and I had cause to apply dock leaf sap to a nettle sting only last week. My mother would try and make us drink hot milk and honey if we had a sore throat but because of my aversion to milk I used to request just a spoonful of honey on its own. The weather around here is not very reliable for hanging clothes out so I tend to tumble dry most things but I do much prefer bedlinen that has been sun dried. Feels wonderful to climb into! No syrup of figs for us but I remember cod liver oil. And throwing it back up. I also remember a cough mixture (I think) that had to be very well shaken because it naturally separated into a chalky like substance at the bottom and a clearer liquid at the top of the bottle. Can't remember the name. It was vile. Unlike pholcodine which was delicious.

Anyone else remember cuts and grazes being cleaned with iodine? That used to sting!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hot toddy works for me.

Catriona likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

Why do people need a cold to have a toddy?

S

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Do they? Weirdos...

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Virol?

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

And TCP. You could feel it doing you good.
    Then for persistant bad boils in the early fifties you might get penicillin. In those days it was still a rather impure very viscous liquid which required a large syringe with a very thick needle and was injected into muscle, typically the buttock. You certainly felt that. You also knew that after the first dose you had six more on following days. Boils of course were lanced. You felt that as well.

18. RogerMac

Afraid I don't know the name as far as we were concerned it was just on a spoon. Nowadays it seems impossible to get except with hops added, which spoils all the fun.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I can't be people 'cause I don't! ;)

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ah, J. Collis Brown's Chlorodyne, the opiate of the masses. When the original (laudanum) formula was banned, a schoolfriend's father (a doctor -- and the friend is now a retired doctor too) bought two Winchesters of it; 5 litres in total.

But yes, Kate, certainly a lot of it works/ worked.

Cheers,

R.