1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did the "Please check status of a lens" issue ever get sorted?

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, Aug 11, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

My 14-42 II R lens has started putting up this notice and going black. It happens when zooming and only clears if I take it off and on again. Until I zoom again.
    Reading back here there was a little on it 6/7 years ago, but just standard advice like clean the contacts, or it is not screwed in properly, or the lens is not extended. From a vast number at that time on another forum, I can see those are not the problem and a lot of people just dumped the lens as it was too expensive to fix.
    Sounds like very bad news, as I bough it because the pancake failed and I though it would be reliable. Was there any final conclusion?

2. RovingMike

Well I have written it off and ordered the Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6, which is shorter and lighter to go on the Pen F than the Vario-Elmar I already have. Lumix have the identical rigid 14-42 to Oly, but I have to assume it is prone to the same bug.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The Lumix 14-42 appears to be a totally different lens to the Olympus Zuiko one.
    Am not over-impressed with the reliability of Olympus stuff, I have had my EM5 Mk II suffer an issue with all rear buttons failing last Easter (2018), then a while ago my E-PM1 packed up with very little use sine I got it new (split kit, no lens, took it to work for occasional use and it has maybe less than 100 shots) but the shutter no longer works on stills, OK for movies.
    EM5 fixed undr warranty in short timescales, E-PM1 is out of warranty so will most likely go for recycling.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

From the comments on the Olympus board I get the impression that in respect of longevity not much has changed since the OM system which is a shame because in terms of specification and optical quality Olympus have some excellent products but they have to be able to take the abuse cameras are subjected to without flinching. As a fromer OM user I want to like Olympus products but, for various reasons, I can't. Come on Olympus get these niggles sorted.

RovingMike likes this.
  5. RovingMike

Perhaps so, but the Lumix 12-60 3.5-5.6 is not too big to sit nicely on the small bodies. Hoping for better reliability from it. I have compared with the bigger 12-60 2.8-4 and it seems to perform as well and both are visibly better than the old Oly 14-42 R II.

I do think a decent standard zoom other than pancake is something missing from the Oly range. But I'm being won over to Lumix.

6. RovingMike

That worries me. I got the PenF mainly because the EM5 mk3 was so late. Still intending to get it, as the Pen has some irritating features, but it better be good.