1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did the earth move for you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

earthquake 14oct19.jpg A friend just posted this on FB. I think he's in the Cheshire area but I could be wrong.
    He said this was about 17.40

2. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

From the British Geological Survey website

DATE 14/10/2019
    ORIGIN TIME 16:51:48.8 UTC
    LOCATION 52.557 -2.968
    DEPTH 14 km
    MAGNITUDE 2.3
    LOCALITY BISHOP'S CASTLE,SALOP

Felt in several towns and villages in the SY5 and SY6 postcode areas.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

2.3? I've had worse sneezes...

Funny that on arrival in Japan tremors made me look up and around, wondering how it was going to play out, but after a while you really just get used to it, barely looking up or stopping what you're doing.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Damp squib. But not as damp as fracking.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was in Rome when this one happened https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_L'Aquila_earthquake and the hotel certainly moved. I was on the fourth floor and it was an absolutely horrible sensation. It was awful seeing the news coverage of what had happened in L'Aquila which was about 60 miles away. In this country I've felt tremors strong enough to rattle both figuratively and physically - the last one would be sometime before 1985 in Broughton nr Chester - everything in the house shook.

Edit: might have been this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Llŷn_Peninsula_earthquake

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    saxacat and Catriona like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I was in Llanidloes for that one, out in town. Didn't feel a thing, though it was reported in the town.
    About ten or so years back I was at the partner's near Llangefni when we heard a large train pass, which we could understand, but some distance underground, which we couldn't. The reason the house didn't shake is that it is on the marsh, built on a concrete raft.

S

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The only one I've ever felt was when we were in Gairloch - I was woken by what felt like a big gust of wind hitting the building. As we were on the West coast of Scotland I asumed that was what it was and went back to sleep. I think it was about three days before I twigged it had been a tremor.

Adrian

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We had one in Kyoto when we fairly high up in a hotel. That was interesting!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My first 5+ was experienced several floors up, and it is remarkable how much sway you can feel in the tower block.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I was working in Los Angeles immediately after the quake in '94. Aftershocks still going off, so we moved ourselves out of the high rise hotel into a much lower one. Managed to get to the epicentre and put some shots in editorial libraries:

upload_2019-10-15_6-21-10.png

Catriona likes this.