1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devon Meet – Saturday 7th February

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by John_Baker, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Re: Devon Meet – Saturday 7 February

Hi and welcome :D

I'm sure the guys will be pleased to see you.

Don't forget to bring the photographers friend (beer money in case it rains) ;)

2. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Should be good, I look forward to meeting you...

3. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Hello and welcome to the forum. I normally go on the Devon meets but I'm away for this one, you'll have a good time and they're a great bunch of guys.

4. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome brian, basil, barbara ? ;)
    shall look forward to meeting you, done my first meet with these people last year and a good day it was

btw i dont mind what we do on the day, go along with anything
    looking forward to seeing you all again

5. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Will try and make it along.

6. John_Baker

Hi James it would be great to meet up and hear all your news – how far can you get this way, I don’t think I will be able to get over & pick you up??

7. aiwa_yamaha

No that's fine. There are 2 options, i could meet you at the train station in your town or i could come down with a friend. Should be good to meet up again. Christmas period wasn't really the time and after i got back from America i was with friends till i got back to Truro.

Oh and where are the confirmed locations for the shoot?

8. John_Baker

James I will PM details of meeting up...

But thinking through an itinerary I would suggest gathering at the higher car park at Haytor at 10:30 - then we can look at the weather and finalize what people want to do. Possibly a couple of hours at Becky Falls will be enough for most, the problem is that it would be treacherous in the wet! In the area you have plenty to do, so Bowermans Nose, Hound Tor, Dartmeet, Wistmans Wood, Widecombe-in-the-Moor, plus 101 other places. There is normally a lot going on, many of the Tors should have people climbing and bouldering, there may be canoeist on the Dart, etc, etc. Sorry to be vague firming things, a meet in February will always be a tad more complex!

9. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Looking forward to meeting everyone. :)

10. aiwa_yamaha

Sounds good to me, I'll have a think.

11. John_Baker

Updated details – Saturday 7th February

Sorry for the lack of contact – I have had a couple of days in France doing my annual photo shoot with 15 carnival queens at Euro Disney!!! It is a really tough job, but someone has to do it - Looked a bit like this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, re Saturday 7th Feb – I have just heard back from the owners of Becky Falls... “I absolutely do remember you! Your gorgeous photos are still on our website. However, unfortunately, we won't be open next Saturday. We were opening for Sundays during January/February but due to the atrocious weather forecast, we've decided to concentrate on maintenance until we reopen on Saturday 14th February, which will be the first day of our 2009 season. So, unfortunately, we can't accommodate next week but would be very happy to arrange for a future group visit (free of charge) once we reopen.
    Kind regards, Wendy - BECKY FALLS”

The offer of the free trip is very generous, hopefully we can rearrange a date later in the year!!!

I think the weather is going to be all over the place, could I suggest we go for a meet at the higher car park at Haytor at 10:30 (happy to shift back to 11:00 – please let me know!) – We can then think through a suitable agenda for the day...
    [​IMG]

I would suggest a pub lunch somewhere on our travels? But feel free to bring a packed lunch – should be good...

12. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Re: Updated details – Saturday 7th February

Ah, knew the pub would be in there somewhere :D

Hope you all have a great time :cool:

13. John_Baker

Thanks Chris, if the weather stays like it is, we will need some warmth!!!

14. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

If the weather's like this, we'll need a bloomin' snowplough!!! (That'll teach me to say "Snow? What snow?"!!!)

15. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

well i dont feel the cold very often ..... but yesterday i only managed to be outside for an hour, it was bitter

all end up sitting in pub all day, togging for this months comp :D

16. John_Baker

I was thinking the same thing until lunchtime, when it went very dark and the snow started falling on Haldon/Kennford... It will not be fun tomorrow!

We may have to rethink this one - Heading up to the moor may not be the best idea if this continues... it would be ok for Richard in his trusty 110 – but must admit it was hard going out and about today!

Possible more accessible options include places such as Paignton Zoo or the Living Coast – any other ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

17. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

The Drum Inn Cockington /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. John_Baker

Nice idea, good pub located in a sleepy, time warp thatched village – grounds feature a lovely old church, also has a really quirky bowl shaped cricket pitch (possibly slightly the wrong time of year)… Last time I was there I did some nice glass shots at the glass blower in the stableyard – pleased to see they still have a couple on their web site www.ourglasscockington.com/BV1-Ellipse-Vase :D :D

19. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Either would suit me. Never been to the Living Coast and it must be at least 15 years since I went to Paignton Zoo!

20. 4BIKER2

4BIKER2 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I'm not going to make it, having trouble with my old van, it's looking terminal :(