1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devon Meet – Dawlish Air Carnival - 20 August plus others...

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by John_Baker, Aug 3, 2009.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Steve52 is supposed to be doing a recce, I believe we will be heading up to the hill above the Smugglers pub...

Click to view Slightly too big John, so changed to link

Try this - multimap - http://www.multimap.com/s/dSJeyeED

Nod - it would be good to meet, I will PM my mobile number just in case, suggest if you approach from the Teignmouth side it would be easier, Dawlish will fill up and grind to a halt!!!

2. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Many apologies, but been busy. However, I'll go out this afternoon and will post pics later today, or tomorrow.

3. Steve52

Re: Devon Meet – Dawlish Air Carnival - Locations (12 pics)

OK Everyone, here are 3 locations. The first set is on Exeter side of Dawlish, then working towards Teignmouth side. All 3 can get pretty crowded, especially down by the viaduct. There is nothing really between Lee Mount and where we wre last year. Hope this helps with choice.

1 - 3 above Coastguards, more-or-less opposite what was Charlton House Hotel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 - 6 Above Dawlish Station

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 - 9 Next to the viaduct

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 - 12 Shelter below Lee Mount

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. John_Baker

Richard you are a hard man, my system recorded that one at 98.45kb local (but will agree it sneaked on a few pounds in the FTP lounge and managed to bloat up to 100.812kb on posting!!!) – Here is the slim down “one breakfast” version...

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

5. John_Baker

Steve many thanks for taking the pics... I must admit that I am quite keen to get up higher, I have seen lots of great work taken at the top of the hill above the Smugglers, which gets you closer to the aircraft

[​IMG]

6. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I know I can't make it, but where John has circled would have been my preference.

7. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for decent weather and no family crises! The spot near the Smugglers looks good to me.

8. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

am i right in thinking this is the hill right behind where we were last year...when we invaded the train spotters spot :D

9. John_Baker

Yes it is Bob, it is the highest point in the area – you will not miss it, as it will be covered in locals... That is once the farmer gets a bull and several cows out of the way!!

10. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

locals must be a good spot then, can i claim being a local from the north :D
    bulls and cows that could make for some interesting shots between the aircraft /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

what timings decided yet? flying starts at 12.30 i think so what we all thinking 10.30 meet
    richard shame you not coming....do a sicky mate

assume everyone sorted for transport i will be travelling from north devon if this is any good for anyone

not wishing to tempt fate but thursdays forecast looking good at the moment

11. Steve52

Hope you can make it Nod.
    Just had a look at both BBC and Met Office and the weather doesn't look promising. :( Both forecasting heavy showers. :( :( Let's hope they are wrong.
    Might bring my low-light lenses, just in case.
    Are we aiming for a 10:30ish meet?

12. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

13. Steve52

14. John_Baker

Weather is all over the place you look at 3 forecasts and you get totally different results – main site is still quoting 12:30 till 5:30 – My neighbour is trying to get some more details on timings for the event from one of the organisers - I would thinking about being up there for about 12:00 but happy to meet you guys in the field if you want to be early birds!!! – remember the field is currently occupied by a couple of cows.
    Further update – my contact has been talking with the air show director!! Rough timings at the moment…

10:00 Static show choppers flying in to the Smugglers
    13:00 Main show starts
    16:20 Red Arrows and Vulcan
    My contact is at the air show party on Wednesday night so should have some more details then.

15. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

will go with the flow, i might pop to mifsuds first and look at bags

16. John_Baker

Sounds “a cunning plan”, I am banned from the place (by SWMBO) – I have checked the Exeter Airport website this morning and they have the Red Arrows booked out at 15:37 and back in at 18:16

If you want to see the Reds at Exeter, here are their times:
    19 Aug – ETA 14:31/ETD 16:19/ETA 17:04
    20 Aug – ETD 15:37/ETA 16:13/ ETD 18:16/ ETA 19:05/
    21 Aug - ETD 11:15

Exeter Airport News...

17. Steve52

Heart FM says Red Arrows display at Dawlish is at 16:00, which would more-or-less tie in with above times.
    What time are we all meeting?

18. John_Baker

Hi Steve, Keith is going to the Air Show Party tonight and should have more details for me in the morning – rumor is that there may be something interesting going past at 11:00?
    I am sure it will be a long session, last year there were lots of very long gaps in the action… My thoughts at the moment are to arrive about 12:15 to 12:30 – but very happy to meet people up there, weather is still looking variable!!!

Just saw the typo in my Exeter post, should read Reds booked out at 15:37 and will be back in at 16:13

19. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

weather is supposed to be clearing early in the morning

passed through today, its £5 to park the car or i suppose park where we parked last year ?

20. John_Baker

Final update – the farmer who owns the area by the Smugglers Pub is opening his field for parking and charging £5 (it states not suitable for low suspension vehicles!) – There is also pedestrian access to the top of the hill which is being charged at £1 (free if you park your car) – I believe there are eating & toilet facilities on offer as well! As above still plan to be there for about 12:15...