1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devon Meet – Dawlish Air Carnival - 20 August plus others...

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by John_Baker, Aug 3, 2009.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

This is creeping up on us again, last year several members of the “Devon Massive” did a combined visit to Buckfast Butterflies in the morning and then headed over to Dawlish for the afternoon – do you fancy another meet this year? The Dawlish flying display will be from 12:30 to 17:30 - The full flying prog is yet to be posted - A couple of snaps from last year for inspiration...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts from last year - Buckfast Butterflies and Dawlish Show 08

The other dates to flag for your diaries:

Red Arrows at Torbay Regatta
    Show at 18:00 in the harbour – Wednesday 26 August

Dartmouth Royal Regatta 26/27/28 August
    Wednesday 26th August
    • Battle of Britain Memorial Flight : 5:30 pm
    Thursday 27th August
    • Sea King Role Demo 848 Sqn : 5:00 pm
    • RN Merlin : 5:15 pm
    Friday 28th August
    • RN Merlin : 4:30 pm
    • Red Arrows : 6:00 pm
    • Chinook/Sea King 848 Sqn : 6:30 pm
    Saturday 29th August
    • SAR Sea King/RNLI Demo : 12:00 pm
    • Sea King 848/Black Knights : 1:00 pm
    • RN Merlin : 5:00 pm
    • Sea King 848 Sqn Role Demo : 5:30 pm
    • RAF Chinook : 5:45 pm

2. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Yep, Dawlish was excellent last year. I'd be up for it again, I need to sort out some TOIL and cancel a previous commitment...being a smuggler!

I quite fancy seeing the BoBMF at Dartmouth on the 26th.

3. John_Baker

Richard, not quite sure how this ended up in here - it was supposed to be over in the "Forthcoming Events" section, but I had a big wobble and lost power when I was finalising the post - apols... I was in this area getting the references to last year - my mistake

BoBMF will be at Dawlish as well - I was partly thinking of taking up the offer for a "free" session in Becky Falls in the morning? but appreciate it may be tight to get across for the main event?

4. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Moved to Forthcoming Events.

Becky Falls would be good but I think you're right and the timing will be too tight. Good news re BoBMF at Dawlish.

5. John_Baker

Richard, thanks for moving – where do you want to go, we have a really great spot on the cliff top near the Smugglers Inn at Holcombe, we could go to the top of the hill at Holcombe much higher view, or down into Dawlish itself – having done the cliff top for the last two years going down into the town on the sea wall may be an interesting option for me, but I appreciate that getting up higher does give you a more interesting perspective? - thoughts???

6. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I think I'd like to try a higher vantage point up on the hill, the trainspotters pitch was excellent but we lost sight of the planes quite a bit. Not keen on going in to Dawlish, the crowds more than anything.

7. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

will be there unless things change........yipee cant wait :D

8. John_Baker

Very happy to do the hill - Seems we will be without the Typhoon this year which is a great shame - More details on the current line up both flying and static – with a bit of a warning about the hill!! :D :D :D

Found a nice item on last year and a ringing endorsement for the view from the top of the hill! Devon's Carnival Marvel...

9. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of vantage points on the other side of Dawlish from Smugglers. One is just above the station; and the other above smugglers cafe, more-or-less opposite the Catholic Church. Both can get pretty crowded though.
    Not available in the morning, so I'll meet everyone at whatever vantage point we decide.

10. John_Baker

Steve, it will be good to catch up with you, I don’t think things start flying till around 12:30 – the only problem will be the crowds, but you can get to the Smugglers from the Teignmouth side without any problem. Just chatting to my neighbour who is in the “know”, Typhoon is not off; it is just the shows needs to find £3k to pay for it!!! If it is not there, something else not quite so expensive will take its slot. I hope this plug does not infringe any of the forum rules?

Dawlish Airshow Team
    Our free airshow is funded purely by donations & sponsorship, without any financial help from the local government. If you would like to help keep the event going, please click on the Paypal link below to make a donation
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4371565

Postal donations can be sent to

Dawlish Carnival Airshow (F.A.O Mr K. Wills)
    PO Box 45
    Dawlish
    Devon
    EX7 9XY

Cheques made payable to `Dawlish Carnival Committee.'

I will happily send out maps of best locations & an advice sheet to anyone who donates.
    Trust me when I say that every pound/penny counts, your help & support is most appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!
    Morley
    Dawlish Airshow Team

11. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi John. I live in centre of Dawlish, so where we were last year (doesn't time fly?) is about a 10 min walk. I might do a 'scout' this weekend and see if there are any other places. I'll post some pics of the typical view.

12. John_Baker

Thanks Steve I look forward to your comments, it is a little further up the hill which interests me – I have done above the railway line for the last 2 years and really need a new perspective, while it is a great location I have thousands of shots from that spot. Having read a couple of items around the web while it is a bit more of a hike to get to the top, but you do get a totally different view of the action.

13. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I've booked the day off now, so I'm a definate.

14. Morley_Lester

Morley_Lester New Member

Thanks for the plug, every penny counts.
    There are many acts that have asked to perform that, sadly, through funding, we cannot host.
    However, I must correct your above statement.
    The Typhoon is not appearing, not because of funding issues but because earlier this year, the RAF Events Team made the decision to withdraw all mid week Typhoon displays.
    We have appealed this decision but, to this point, it, sadly, has not been reinstated.

Thanks for your interest.

Best Wishes,
    Morley

Morley Lester
    Dawlish Airshow

15. John_Baker

Many thanks for the clarification – the event is spectacular and well worth supporting...
    Whatever we end up with it will be fun and worth photographing!

16. John_Baker

Bit of V'exciting news...

Just found this...

Vulcan XH558 will, again, formate with the the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, `The Red Arrows!'

We are over extremely proud that Dawlish has been given approval for this amazing flypast, which surely says something now of the standing of our Airshow.
    Many thanks to the TVOC, The Reds & the CFS for their effort & hard work in making this happen for us.

This is a formation certainly not to be missed.
    Now click that donate button folks!

Cheers!
    Morley

17. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Had to cancel my day off! :mad: :(

18. John_Baker

Pants, was looking forward to seeing you...

19. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Likewise. I can't believe I'll now miss the Vulcan.

20. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I hope i can finally make it to a meet. If you can let me know an approximate OS reference for where you're likely to be, I may just turn up and surprise you all!