1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Derelict Places

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by nastypiranha, Aug 30, 2014.

1. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

Hello,

After a wee bit of advice and I know every situation will be different and one of them being Scottish Law ( Which apply's to me here) I've been really interested in doing a shoot on one of our old buildings it's an old part fire damaged district asylum: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/sit...ad+northern+counties+district+lunatic+asylum/

Due to the fire the building is surrounded with a fence (with gaps to enter, windows all boarded up, yet again with gaps to enter) the land has been sold off to a housing developing company which has there own security. So I'm guessing its just a case of turning up when quiet, causing no damage to enter the building and leaving nicely when asked to do so?

But I thought it might be wise to contact the land owner (developer) and ask them if I could do a photo-shoot of the outside and inside of the building and state I'm happy to sign any disclaimer to not hold them liable if anything happened. bring my own safety gear etc or is that just going a bit OTT. I know there's no harm is asking as worse they could say is NO or just don't reply. but it's one of those things you need to do just to get it out of your system so has anyone had any success in writing to owners of derelict buildings? or offer any advice :)

2. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

I have asked before and aways turned down and thinking about it it is understandable there is nothing in it for them except risk. Even if you sign some sort of waiver you may try to squeeze out of it later and that would involve them in legal cases which they should win but still is time effort and cost.

From your point of view asking, being rejected then being caught on site, legally is much more sticky than just being caught on site which leaves you the option of playing ignorant and promising not to do it again. The first option shows to a J.P. or Scottish equivalent a deliberate act of disobedience where the second is just a silly mistake.

Ian

3. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice Ian, it did give me some food for thought :) But after a little bit more digging about, I came across some information that the old building has been stripped out to become flats.

4. Loose_Canon

Loose_Canon Well-Known Member

Depends why you wish to photograph an old building.

Unfortunately now it can be difficult to get permission - and I say that as a member of an industrial archaeology society that has insurance and so on - one even has to produce a written method of work statement and of course hazard assessment.

If you have a real interest join your local IA society, they can ask developers for you as part of the planning process.