1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depth of field preview

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by oddjob, Apr 2, 2002.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Wot, a feature for photocopying your bum on a camera would be really usefull! The "cheek" of it!

BigWill

2. BigWill

....or you could buy a Nikon and get a feature called "crap focus"

BigWill

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Our nearest neighbours are a half mile away!! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

You should focus on the cat's eyes, not its nose. Just as with human portraiture if the eyes are sharp thats all that matters.

You work your life away and what do they give?
    You're only killing yourself to live.

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I really can't take the direction this thread has wandered into seriously.

Brian.

5. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

no no no no no
    I want some shots that record what my cats actually look like, hence the nose to tail. Sharp focus on the eyes, highlights etc has its place but its just ONE composition surely?

6. oddjob

oddjob Active Member

Wow!

I didn't realise that this question would set off such a long thread of responses, maybe I'm not as thick as I was thinking!

Some very techinical responses in this thread which are most appreciated and I'll be checking out the mentioned website,however as I've only been into photography a couple of years or so,I think I'll need a box of paracetamol in front of me to work out some of the more involved DOF calculations.

Thanks all for the responses.

Cheers

OJ

7. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

I prefer shooting catkins to cats. Less messy and much more challenging.

8. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Just remember that there is a bit more DoF behind the plane of focus than there is in front of it.

David

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Didn't think you would - my sole reason for childish behaviour towards Ron was a bit of Snail baiting (seeing how many times I could mention DEP mode in one thread).
    Sorry, Brian. Sorry, Ron.

Nick BSRIPN

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Not always! (but please don't lets start again) /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

You work your life away and what do they give?
    You're only killing yourself to live.

11. Lounge_Lizard

Oh yes it does!

Sorry! What's that? You mean the panto season is over...

12. BigWill

.....he's behind you!

Big(Dame)Will

13. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

You might try

http://www.dl-c.com

Go to Downloads on the left - and download dof.zip file

(Also useful info on the site on Provia 100 v Velvia for scanning.)

Clive

14. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Except in close-ups when it's the other way round.

15. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Thanks - the dof calculators are starting to breed like rabbits now!
    Very interesting about Velvia v Provia 100. Provided the writers methodology was sound who would want to use Velvia in scanning - what a difference in the two lakeside landscapes. I'm starting to get worried about how much I have to learn; and to think I do this for fun!

16. Lounge_Lizard

Is it?

17. ziggykor

ziggykor Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't get to read all 55 previous replies, but here's a direct answer. Depth of field preview allows you to determine both the near to far acceptable focus. As you stop the lens down it becomes darker because less light is pasing through it. Place a dark cover over your head while allowing yourself to see through the viewfinder and it may help. To use this with effect you should have the camera mounted on a tripod as it takes time for the eye to adjust to the transmitted light.

Having said all of this, you may want to purchase the Kodak Master Photo Guide which contains a set of DOF tables in it. You will get more from them using a 35mm format than you will fron the DOF preview unless you are doing closeup work. Additionally, most prime lenses have a DOF scale on them. You should learn how they are used in order to gain the most from your equipment. I hope this is a bit of help

Ziggy

18. Lounge_Lizard

Funny that - all the previous 55 posts said that Depth of Field is measured by how far your green wellys sink into the mud when crossing the local cow pasture.

David