1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depth of field preview

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by oddjob, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup. You can also set the exposure lock button to be a DOF preview button by custom function, but not if you want the same button to control AF!

Nick BSRIPN

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite, and that's why you need DOF preview - to check that it's OK.

Nick BSRIPN

3. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Thats a cracking site - I've been playing with it tonight. Didn't notice it somehow when it was featured in AP
    I guess the ultimate position to get to is one of those devices that house surveyors use to measure distance with an infrared beam or whatever, built into a Palmpilot so you can look up and calculate stuff on the hoof.

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Pete,

Glad you like it, I've only really had a quick look, but to be honest with my Dynax 7 and D series lens when I hit my DoF button the camera tells me the distant in front and behind the point of focus that will be sharp, so I'm sort of spoiled really!

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup, that's a really useful feature, although I personally still prefer Canon's DEP mode. Now both on the same camera would be something!

Nick BSRIPN

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Funny thing is I hardly ever use the DoF preview! My way of thinking is that at normal distances a moderate wide angle (28mm or 35mm) will have sufficient at f/8 or so. Wider lenses have such great DoF anyway that f/8 is quite ample for them. Teles work better IMVHO with less DoF (and more so the longer you get) so I often use them closed down to f/5.6 max or usually wider.

You work your life away and what do they give?
    You're only killing yourself to live.

7. TimF

Only the M3 and M2 Brian. The marks indicate f/5.6 at the bottom and f/16 at the top. Strictly (and according to my M2 manual) they are for use with the 50mm.

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

But, as David (LL) points out DoF for portraiture is IMHO an essential and with the Dynax 7 and my new 85 mm f/1.4 GD lens it means I can find the aperture that will have the face sharp but the background 'soft'.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can't argue (much) with that, but between say 35mm and around 100m I find DOF preview invaluable, as I do with macro. WIth my Voigtlander 15mm and 25mm lenses and Bessa L, I've not even got an assisted method of focussing - it's a guesstimate, and trust to DOF. Which works fine. But with teles, I do tend to use it to ensure that my subject, and nothing but my subject is sharp.

Nick BSRIPN

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which any EOS can do for you automatically. Nah nah, nah nah nah!

Nick BSRIPN

11. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Sometimes though it really is handy to know what dof you're getting e.g. this evening I was snapping my cats sitting on a fence 5 metres away (beautifully lit by the late sun in case you're wondering why I didn't just nail them down on a table). I needed 300mm to fill the frame and the pose was front to rear rather than side on if you see what I mean - needs more dof to catch the whole cat rather than a face portrait. f5.6 would give me just 10cm dof, whereas f11 is 19cm & f16 28cm. Didn't need a tripod, beanbag or monopod as I had the henhouse to lean on (you DON'T keep chickens? really? you need to get out more!)

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

What? tell you the exact distance that will be sharp for that given aperture, I don't think so Nick.

13. TimF

Of course we keep a few chickens. They live in a brick shed though (at night that is, outside in the day!). The rooster goes his own way and flies up into the rafters of a cattle shed in the yard.

14. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

That makes more sense if the camera is actually giving you figures rather than just a sort of general partial darkening on the image in the viewfinder. If I've understood you correctly then Minoltas have just gone up in my opinion - I had thought they just made devices for photocopying your bum!

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, do it for you the other way round. Set the distance and aperture required for the appropriate near and far distances. Yar boo sucks![childishfacey]

(I really do think it's a great feature of the Dynax 7, actually!)

Nick BSRIPN

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

DEP would work it out for you. It works!
    (I haven't got chickens, but I was out in the garden with my trusty EOS 5 and 28-135 IS when a flotilla of ducks swam up the brook - does that count?)

Nick BSRIPN

17. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

I know it would do that and thats fine in some circumstances if you've got the time to compose, but in the scenario I mentioned I'd much rather focus on the cats nose and know that everything to the end of its tail is sharp. If you take too long the cat tends to turn round to lick its rear end - not such a valuable shot.
    Glad to hear Tims normal and he's even got a rooster. I didn't stretch to that as I took pity on the neighbours but I have a buck rabbit that thinks its a rooster - dirty little b'stard

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Surely it's quicker to focus on the nose, focus on the tail and press the button than to check the tables?/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nick BSRIPN

19. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

This thread is getting extremely long! No its not easier as they are moving targets. I shot in the knowledge that if I set f8 and was 5 metres away I'd get 14cm dof etc

20. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Sounds like a new camera feature emerging - not only do we need trap focus but trap DoF as well to ensure that all our subject is within the DoF of the lens and its setting before the shutter will fire...

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

David