1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending our right to take photos in public, the Police on our side?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Spats, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

Re: Defending your right to wear a Photovest!

I didn't think terrorists generally targetted anyone(with the exception of the kidnappers in places like Iraq, Lebanon, Afghanistan etc). Don't terrorists generally look for SOFT targets - the largest crowd - anywhere where maximum damage might be inflicted etc?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Maybe - but if you were a copper in the Met, would you want to rely on that? Terrorism in Ireland and Iraq has generally been pretty targetted in such a way, who's to say what will happen here next? I'm just trying to imagine it from their side - maybe they're just plain scared.

3. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

How do you know I'm not?

Not scared - cautious & professional. I think you'll find it's not always the security forces that seek to impose such 'rules' but often it's those being protected!

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fair comments!

5. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

My point exactly...it isn't against any law for me to take photographs there, so why get agro with me and tell me I wasn't allowed to (unless, maybe, it was because I had a professional looking camera)? What is the difference between photography Downing Street and photographing the armed police at the gates of Downing Street (especially as, due to where the gates are and where the police stand, you often can't do one without the other)? And anyway, it wasn't because I photographed the policemen that they got agro with me...as I've said already, the very same officers had just been posing for tourists, but the tourists weren't using a pro-spec cameras!

Maybe you were lucky enough not to get grumpy policemen and I wan't, but there should be consistency within policing, otherwise no one knows where they stand!

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

In the ID parade with all the other terrorists......................er......I mean citizens helping the police with their enquiries............

7. snapperlondon

Clearly the poor dears were scared of me, but they shouldn't have been...after all, if I were a terrorist I'd be trying not to be obvious! I'd have been dressed like the tourists the policemen were posing for rather than making it very clear that I was taking photos of them and also standing out like a sore thumb on the security cameras!

8. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

Who hits the ground first?

What would happen if a guy dressed in traditional Arab garb, with his wife 6 paces behind with a rucksack on her back (containing HIS camera gear!) - started waving around a Hassleblad in front of No 10's gates????????? :D

9. snapperlondon

As I said before, I spent 12 years in the military...and for a fair percentage of those 12 years we WERE being targetted! I lost friends and colleagues to PIRA and, especially for the two years I was stationed in Germany, I had to search my car every time I wanted to use it (the MOD even issued us with telescopic mirrors so we could check our cars when we were out and about)!

But non of that ever made me want to inflict a police state on the rest of the population or infringe on the right of civilians to perform perfectly legal activities, just so I would feel a bit safer! Yes, it is scary when you know a terrorist group might be targetting you or your family, but if the police are really so scared that they abuse the law (as some have done) then maybe they should be doing the job in the first place!

10. snapperlondon

Exactly...and then the police end-up paying out OUR taxes in compensation when they are sued for wrongful arrest!

11. snapperlondon

Re: Who hits the ground first?

Dread to think...if they react in the same way I've seen them doing at railway stations then he'd be up against a wall with the camera smashed on the floor! Meanwhile the real terrorist would be there with his 'I Love NY' t-shirt and his camera phone, posing as a tourist and the police who weren't ruffing-up the Hasselblad owner would be posing for him...much as they were posing for tourists on the day I was there!

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

D'uh.....how long did it take you to figure that out ;)?

Morning D_B,

That's why I can't go out taking photo's by myself, I have to have a licensed photographer with me :eek:

:)

Jack

13. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

morning Jack

how's the view towards Asia today? The view towards North America is looking a bit grey

14. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Either that Jack, or get yourself 'certified' /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif