1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending our right to take photos in public, the Police on our side?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Spats, Jul 14, 2005.

1. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

Re: Do we actually have a right to defend?

I rarely take pictures of individuals without asking first, even at demos, etc, when people expect to be photographed. If it isn't possible to ask (when shooting a march or protest, for example) then I make it very clear that I am taking photographs! If someone asks me not to then I fully respect that! My right to take pictures of people without their permission is not what I am defending here...because, being camera-shy myself, I don't tend to do it!

But I do object to policemen and security guards abusing their authority and the law...I served in the military for 12 years defending our freedoms...at least that is what they told me I was doing...now I can't even photograph a peaceful protest, for example, outside an arms fair in London without risking arrest under anti-terrorism laws! I'm not a terrorist, I've had friends killed by terrorists...and the way the government and police are now behaving is an insult to their memory!

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

"Subliminal Ad" is the term I believe! :D :D

Afternoon Jack. :)

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Nah..its what happens just before you have to re-grind the valves..... :D

Graeme

5. nanstallon

nanstallon Well-Known Member

It would be better if this serious subject was dealt with in a more serious manner than the last few postings.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

We've been debating this here and in the magazine for some months now so it's good job that a bit of humour tends to creep in or we'd all go nuts.......

I'd also like to point out that many members have written to their MP's asking them to support Austin Mitchells Early Day Motion deploring the recent anti-photography actions of numerous govenment and private agencies. I think we know what is serious round here.

Once you've been here a while you get used to threads drifting a bit off topic.........

7. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

It was good to read today that Gary had said his bit about this in the current editorial - I know I know - you all read it days ago!!!!

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Yep... trivialises everything... but we really arnt debating anything here, we all know how rediculous the situation is. We need to make the arguments political...but some of the best political point making is achieved trough the use of satire..... the lowest form of wit.....right up my street!
    Austen Mitchell may be on our side...but I would rather have Rory Bremner.

Graeme

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Tommy,

dunne and rundle :rolleyes:...
    ..Ha ha, fooled you it's not a link ;)...you will have to 'google it' :D.

or check BawBee's post.

:)

Jack

10. Done_rundleCams

Morning NanStallion,

You are, indeed, correct and we should not be trivialising such a serious matter as "Defending our right to take photos in the public, the Police on our side?" and here are some examples of taking photo's in the public and, although it may not answer the question regarding the Police's stand, one(1) photo, in particular, does show the Police presence along with another photographer shooting the same event as I was...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

avec photographer

[​IMG]

and the end, no pun intended, result:

[​IMG]

Due entirely to the police office, in the window, who talked him down, went back to visit him, took him to detox and did follow up visits...this 22 year fellow who is clean has left Vancouver to go back to his home (in another part of Canada), his family and, hopefully, will stay clean and lead as normal a life
    as anyone can in this day of age and this is all due to one police officer who took the time to go above and beyond and to show that (sometimes) the police are on your/my/somebody's/ side.

And as to the 'not so serious aspect's' of some of the above posters, you have no one to blame but me, as I took and posted the pic because sometimes serious situations require a bit of diffusing and, in my case, this is generally done through pics with a bit of (hopeful) levity such as the initial picture posted by Tommy and consequential querying of the genesis of my handle :D.

:)

Jack

11. Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

The mystery is revealed ;)

12. snapperlondon

Yup...now try coming to London and do that! You'll recieve a great deal more hostility from the police!

I haven't personally been arrested, but I have been on the receiving end of deliberately intimidating behaviour by the police on several occassions!

The Met Police tend to treat everyone as though they are a criminal, hardly the attitude to have if you want the public on your side! Even my 65-year-old father (who brough me up to respect the police) now has his reservations! The City of London police used to be better, but lately they seem to have been infected with the 'bad attitude' bug too!

13. Done_rundleCams

I shall be over next spring and, while I don't go looking for "police oriented pics", they have a way of being either down the street or around the block from where I am (on occasion) and I certainly don't shy away from them but I don't necessarily shoot all of them either. As to hostility towards me, only time will tell :cool: and my only defense will be wearing a large Canadian Flag on my T-shirts :D ..oh and, of course, this....
    [​IMG]

;)

cheers,

Jack

14. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

is that a drain cleaner Jack??? :cool:

15. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

Best buy some kevlar plates to put in the pockets of your photovest... ;)

16. snapperlondon

I agree with Steve, "Best buy some kevlar plates to put in the pockets of your photovest..."

My recent observations suggest using nothing more than a compact point and shoot camera if you want to avoid any hastle...armed police outside Downing Street were happily posing for photos until I came along with my Nikon D100 and 17-55mm f/2.8...that combination somehow made me a threat and they quickly turned hostile and told me no photography was allowed (despite all their posing and smiles minutes earlier)!

17. nanstallon

nanstallon Well-Known Member

Nice to be referred to as a Nan Stallion -at age 54 something of a compliment!

On a more serious note, what I despise about the police and other security personnel is that they go for the soft target. Easy to bully some harmless guy on his own taking photos; they are much more cautious with hard looking yobs with tattoos and shaven heads! Always more fun to intimidate ordinary people than do anything useful about keeping the streets safe for the taxpayer.

18. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

I was outside Downing Street last month, asked a policeman if photography was ok (already several chimps there using cameraphones and compacts but I thought it best to ask).

The policeman seemed surprised I had even asked and said 'no problem' - he wasn't at all concerned that I was using a 70-300mm DO IS zoom.

Maybe the difference was that I was taking pictures of Downing street itself rather than the armed police?

:D

19. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

Defending your right to wear a Photovest!

Simple answer - buy a REGULA SPRINTY on eBay for £1.75 and stick it in your camera bag or photovest for those 'authoritarian moments'!!

Maybe having the words "I'm NOT a proper photographer" emblazoned on a Photovest would also calm down the Plod?

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Defending your right to wear a Photovest!

I doubt if it would. I would guess that they're worried that they might be personally targeted by terrorists (hell, they're only human) - in which case being "not a proper photographer" would be more worrying.