1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending our right to take photos in public, the Police on our side?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Spats, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Spats

Spats Active Member

Given the current situation with no photo signs being put up around our cities to protect us from kiddy fiddlers whilst simultaneously preventing terrorists from making detailed attack plans......... I read some thing interesting on Yahoo (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050714/140/fnbf7.html) just now

"Police have been out in force near Edgware Road Tube station today handing out leaflets appealing for information about the attacks.

The leaflets urge anyone who was in the area who may have seen something suspicious or took any photographs to call the confidential anti-terrorist hotline."

Maybe we should use this as a new angle to defend our past time?

2. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

I feel it is important to rationalise and make tangible the presence of photography in society. (as if people need to have this taught?) maybe they do, maybe we need a promo campaign thingy to point out how much a part of daily life photography really is, and not a dark ogre that captures peoples souls.Do we really need to have this conversation, do you ever get this feeling of us us us, and not enough saying what can we do for society(god that sounds so pompous). Getting to the point, associating our art with a positive and proactive motive may be a small step towards mending a pretty big mess.

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Re: Defending our right to take photos in public, the Police on our si

I included it in my (long) letter to my MP.

4. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

But proberly not half as long as Roberts. :rolleyes:

5. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Do you know sopmething we don't? :eek: :D

SCHHWINNGGGG!!!

6. sey

sey Well-Known Member

He's just testing erm. :eek:

7. buze

buze Well-Known Member

Maybe we need t-shirts/caps wit "I'm not a peadophile" or "don't shoot the photographer please" or "Your kids are ugly, I wouldn't waste electrons on them" :D

Thats the thing with parents. If you'd take interest in their kid, they are suspicious, and if you don't, and tell them that you actualy hate kids, they get mad :D

8. celestine46

celestine46 Member

I think we need a more serious discussion on this!, I have sent copies of the letters appearing in A.P in a file to Austin Mitchell M.P for Grimsby , he is extremly concerned about this and has used the material I sent him to put down an E.D.M to bring this to the attention of parliament. I have now heard on the news that the new anti terror legislation is to include a clause of "acts preparatory to terrorism" this could include everyone using a camera, camcorder or just a paintbrush, canvas and easel!! , the excuse to harass was paedophiles now it will be terrorism!, so batten down the hatches and watch this space for more stories in A.P or the press of five year olds being aressted for using a single use camera in a public place, do not laugh it WILL happen. to all who use this forum I now put out one strong message first- all our freedoms are at stake so do not be complacent- I can not do this on my own so just help, second get in touch with your M.P's as A.P. has asked you to do so. I notice that photographers as a group as self absorbed, unorganised and do not fight back , well you will do so when your turn comes belive me!!

9. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

LOL! THIS is what I have been sayig for nearly 6 months to my work mates. Cameras are useful not just for hobbies but also to curb nuisance neighbours/crime and terrorism. I actually sent an email to AP on the very day of the bomb attack, or at the very least I think may have been the day after.. but anyway... I digress... why do we need another body (Leisurewatch) to "police" anywhere. Surely thats what you have security staff for in private premises, and police in public areas.

I also believe, and have said many times to friends and work colleages that we all have the obligation to look after society. You cant fall back on the police and moan "if there were enough police" or "where were the police" etc. If you saw something bad, you have the responsibility to say somthing, though not in a hysterical way.

I've had friends say to me (about the trafalgar square thing) "oh he must have been up to something wrong". I never thought recording society for posterity was a bad thing. I feel that many people react negatively to this because we live in a very public world, al our details are known by banks, our bosses, etc. Its very hard to live a private life thesedays.

10. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

To be honest, I was aleways nervous about getting my camera out in public, but it was always because I was self copnscious of others seeing me-fear of looking an idiot/nerd whatever, but now its now more a case of people looking at you suspiciously. Now when I take David to the park and its full of kids I darent get my camera out-its getting scarey!

11. painterinlight

painterinlight Well-Known Member

The Mayor of London has sponsored an amateur photography competition for the last three years. I'm trying to find out the who and where ... It may, perhaps, be an idea, if enough of us participated, to photograph a brick wall, concrete floor or somesuch and enter it into the competition with simple caption 'the safest option' ?

Regards,
    Martyn...

12. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Now thats a brill idea. I think we should. Or a closed door with a notice about photography ban'd.

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Definitely! a (non)-variety of peopleless, boring pictures, put it in the Gallery and see if we can get AP to print the portfolio as a news item...

Great idea!

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I think he was something to do with a competition in conjunction with ANA(airlines) and Thames festival fortnight last year.......... I won it, hope to be going to Tokyo in September/October........... :D :D :D

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Ah...true commitment to the cause should surely force you to publicly hand the prize back (wink) as in "Brassed Off"!

Graeme..

...Tara Fitzgerald was in that one...now what was I thinking about?

16. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Or a variation of the cliche shot of the underground sign and the Houses of Parliament:

One of Ken's No Photography signs and Trafalgar Square.

17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Can I have time to think about that one?

;)

18. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well my MP is Ian Paisley (God help us!) so I've not much hope there cause he says "No!" to everything! ;)

BigWill

19. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Simple....just persuade him to say to the right question!

Graeme

20. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"Dear Ian, do you think you could possibly mention the subject of photographers rights to dear old Tony Blair the next time you see him......................that is if your bill to have the pope exterminated doesn't get in the way.......................thanks.............................BigWill"

You reckon that oughta do it Graeme? ;)

BigWill