1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default or not Default

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by IvorCamera, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you do that moving to a D5, D500 (my own choice) or D850 you might well be satisfied, but you would be missing out on goodies especially in the AF dept. On second thoughts, the CF card would present a problem.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Generally you can't move settings from one model to another only to another of the same model.

If I were to move to the D5 or D850 I would still deactivate sounds, post shooting preview and JPEG settings. Other things I would change, if possible; reprogram the video button, reprogram the live view button. All academic as I can't afford one D5, even less two of them, and even two D850s would be beyond my budget.

Thinking about it, it would probably good for Nikon to collect the settings files from users to see which features are regularly disabled so that the defaults could be changed to off where appropriate.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

True that you can't move the setting file, but there are so many Nikon camera family features that many settings can be transferred.
    I can think of one feature that frequently is enabled on Snapbridge enabled cameras; Airplane Mode. Perhaps Snapbridge has been fixed, or perhaps not. The reputational damage has been done.

4. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I do, although one is just a makeweight. I switch between them for different types of photography; hand-held in available light, flash and tripod. There were several settings I was routinely changing between these types, except sometimes I would forget one, and might get home to find, for example, that I’d left Auto ISO on for flash or tripod photos, and got high ISO low quality photos, instead of the opposite. I didn’t have the luxury of memory banks on my D90, but several months after I got my D800 I grasped the nettle, worked out which settings I wanted, and set up the memory banks. I find it quicker and much more reliable than before. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I find it very frustrating that, although the Shooting Menu Bank covers most settings, I also need to change the Custom Settings Bank to set Exposure Delay, and bracketing isn’t included in either memory bank. (Of course I also need to change the release mode, but that’s an acceptable drawback for the benefit of a dedicated control dial.)
    The stand-out comment on custom settings I seem to remember from Ken Rockwell's website was his claim that before he took his camera out, he reset it to the factory defaults, and then reapplied his preferred settings for the task in hand, to ensure they were as intended. Is that OTT, or should I just be grateful that I take photos for my own enjoyment, not because I’ve been commissioned by someone who’s expecting perfection?

Chris

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have set up,custom controls but I can never remember which is which. By the time I've looked I might as well have set them afresh. I always thought the advantage was mostly for "pool" cameras used by more than one person.

6. ChrisNewman

I named mine “Hand-held”, “Held, fast Auto ISO”, “Tripod” and “Flash”, so I've no problem remembering which is which.

Chris

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Must be something different - mine is just C1,C2,C3 on the mode dial

8. ChrisNewman

The D800 doesn’t have a mode dial; the only modes are Programmed Auto, Shutter-Priority Auto, Aperture-Priority Auto and Manual, changed with a button and command dial. The memory banks are accessed through the [info] or menu buttons. Is your camera perhaps a Canon? We’ve already had the comment “Why is this thread hidden in the Nikon room?

Chris

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You must be kidding! All I need is to, effectively, make a camera as similar to an F5 in handling as possible. There are settings on the D3 that were never available for the F5 but rarely do they intrude. I think that after more than 40 years of SLR photography I can probably manage without a lot of the "features" of newer cameras so as I won't be using them their custom settings will remain undisturbed.