1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deer Parks near Milton Keynes?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm looking for recommendations for photographer friendly deer parks within 100 miles of Milton Keynes, with the emphasis on "photographer friendly". Woburn Abbey deer park is a few miles away, and I've been many times, but ageing photographer friendly it isn't. "Snapshotter friendly" may be, but I'm looking for places where I can roam, perhaps even take the car and then roam with my long lens, tripod and camera. I've been to Bradgate Park near Leicester, and that seems promising and wild enough, but again, getting my heavy gear to where the deer may roam looks difficult.

Are there any others?

Have just remembered:
    Richmond Park - is it possible to park one's car within it, and then roam?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I used to live near Richmond Park and regularly drove through it and saw herds of deer frequently. You certainly could park the car and 'roam' although the distances may be quite high. Just watch out for labradors (Fenton?) chasing the deer!

If you do visit R.Park try to visit the garden at it's centre - the 'Isabella Plantation', a wonderful place especially when the Azalea are flowering.

3. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

There's info here on the official site - you probably need to read the advice about the rutting season, which I think is still in progress. You wouldn't want the legs of your tripod to be mistaken for a challenge! :)

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks for the advice.
    The problem with Woburn is that whilst it has many species of deer, it's huge, and the public road through the park is well used and there's no spare width to sensibly allow a short stop for photography. To access the Abbey and its car park, there's a private one way only single track and whilst I have got some half-decent shots when driven along this route, it's not possible to linger except in one or two places. At least the day ticket allows multiple entries on the same day, but it does seem to be a waste of petrol driving slowly round the park, and again, and ...again.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Slightly off the wall suggestion but Wollaton Hall in Nottingham has a herd of Reds and some Fallow ? but it's that long since I went the 6 miles there I've forgotten what breed they are:eek:.....
    Anyway back to Wollaton Hall, the deer mooch around the park which has a golf course in it but are generally fairly easy to see...however if the mood takes them they are a load of awkward camera shy so and so,s

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Any of the main ones in or around London, you've got Richmond and Bushy. Both of which you can park in the allocated car parks. These aren't exactly where the deer are as they tend to shun human contact - and who could blame them! ;)

Bradgate Park is good as well, depending on the time of year. If you go to the Newtown Linford side up near the Grey Lady Restaurant it is a lot easier to get to the area that the deer frequent.

But which ever of the locations you go to, you will need to be carrying your gear perhaps for quite some time. Stalking and photographing wild animals isn't like walking up to them in a zoo. I used to spend hours in Richmond Park and Bradgate Park sitting around in the middle of nowhere waiting for the deer in all weathers.

Also, make sure you aren't wearing any strong smelling deodorant or aftershave. I also used to have clothes that I'd left out in the rain several times to get rid of any washing detergent smells.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Many thanks for that link - it's a new one for me, and I've now found that there's a deer park in Oxford (Magdalen College Deer Park) which is only ~45 miles away, and it looks as though it may be more favourable that Woburn. I could combine it with a visit to Otmoor RSPB reserve.

8. Malcolm_Stewart