1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisive Moment Gallery - Derek Smith - Lost Industrial Teesside

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Ephemeral, May 9, 2008.

1. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

opening 2pm on May 31st until July 19th

The Lost Communities of Industrial Teesside
    The project began in 1971, when Smith was sixteen years old and continued into the mid 1970s, developing into an extensive body of work documenting the communities that had grown up around the huge iron and steel works of the region. Among the pubs, clubs and streets Smith found often difficult working lives and hardship, but also rich expressions of solidarity, compassion and a stoical sense of humour. As an insider to these communities, whose family had worked and lived in Thornaby since the early 1900s, Smith was well placed to portray them without sentimentality or judgment but with dignity, curiosity and respect. Today, following de-industrialisation of the region, many of these once thriving working class communities have been lost from the national map and have been forgotten. In this light, Smith’s recently rediscovered negatives provide a fascinating and thought-provoking insight into the culture and living conditions of a section of the North East in the 1970s. Many of the images are being shown for the first time in this exhibition.

[​IMG]

details of how to get to the gallery can be found at http://www.mediaworkshop.org.uk/contact.html

2. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

If you enjoy Derek Smith - can i point you towards one of the best British photographers, Ian Macdonald. He is from Teeside and has documented the changing landscape of his area for many many years. He also spent time as the Artist in Residence at Eton College and produced an extraordinary range of images.

Ian Macdonald

He is a really good and approachable guy - if you get a chance to meet up with him or view his prints, dont hesitate.

peter

3. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Stephen I will hopefully get along to that one.

Thanks also Peter for your link. Some great images. I especially enjoyed looking at the blast furnaces as I used to work at Clay Lane, South Bank in my youth.

4. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that this is opening tomorrow and everybody who can should show up as seemingly these photographs are going to The Side for archiving after this show

(and Paul and I have spent hours mounting, framing and hanging these :))

Steve

5. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

I'll have to attend then won't I? ;) Not sure if I will be able to make it Saturday but should get over before July 19th.

6. JonnyH

JonnyH New Member

Looking forward to seeing this one.

Regarding local images, does anybody know anything about Robin Dale? I saw some impressive images by him in a gallery/shop in Whitby - primarily depicting youngsters in South Bank in the '60s & '70s. I haven't managed to find any material on him since....

7. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Just contacted the gallery today and spoke to a very helpful lady (didn't get her name) basically to enquire if they were open Sunday's but unfortunately not. They are open until 7.00pm three night s a week so I think i will try and finish work a little early one night next week and get along there.

She did give me lots of info on what the Darlington Media Group get up to and it seems they offer a good mixture including photography, video editing, arts & crafts etc. Sounds like an interesting place.

8. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Marske, eh? Just up the road from me. Apparently I have quite a few relations in the Marske area but never met them (only discovered this as I was researching my family history).

Anyway, haven't heard of Robin Dale but sounds interesting. A quick search found this site Northern Landscapes which mentions Robin Dale although I'm not sure if it's the same Robin Dale. From the site:

My interest in photography began in 2004 after watching
    ‘The Banks Of The Tees’ a slideshow produced in the 1960’s by the photographer Robin Dale and folk songwriter
    Graeme Miles.