1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dawlish Carnival Airshow - Thursday 14th August 2008

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by John_Baker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Buninenineer!

Been roped in to help Dad out with some Mum stuff sorting and Thursday is the chosen day.

One of these years, I WILL get to a meet just to show that I DO actually take the occasional photo (or snap at least)!

2. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

No problem, I hope it goes well - Perhaps you are free on Saturday 20 Sept for the “nut nibbling extravaganza” or is it “Brownsea Revisited” see post - http://tinyurl.com/66k79m - we may even get a bit of summer by then!!! :D

3. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

If you do drive, I would suggest you park in the car park at Sandy Lane. Unfortunately, it is now a Pay & Display. Walk back to the main road, turn right and walk back to the station (there is a cut through just as you start to drop down the hill, past the church and opposite a large block of flats).

4. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

I also can't make it but will look forward to meeting you all next month for the “Brownsea Revisited” trip.

5. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that if it's raining tomoz I'll give it a miss otherwise it will be a big mission for me to travel around. Me and a friend have arranged to go and check the show out anyway even if it's bad weather so it doesn't look like I'll be around. I may text John to see if he is around at the show with you guys to come and say a quick hello but may not depending on what I'm doing.

6. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

spoke to richard hes coming to mine at 8-8:30 we will be driving up due to weather flexibility of car we thought good idea

i suppose leave it till morning see what weathers doing, if meeting somewhere first ie butterfly farm then we can arrange it

steve thanks for info for parking

7. Lin1702

Lin1702 Member

Hi guys.

I live in Exmouth and was planning on watching the display from here. Do any of you have any idea as to whether I will see much?! I'd like to come down to Dawlish to watch but fear the place will be heaving, lol!

8. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi Lin1702

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. It will probably be heaving in Dawlish tomorrow. Would think you'll get just a good a view from Exmouth as Dawlish. Might not get such a good view of the crossovers, as they tend to do that close to Dawlish Beach, but should get the high display stuff. If you do drive over, suggest you park in Sandy Lane (see above).

Here are 3 pics of the view at about 4pm today, from the sea wall in front of Dawlish Station. At the time of writing this (4.40pm ish), bright blue sky and some clouds.

The forecast for tomorrow is similar for today, so a bit of everything.

Towards Exeter (usually where Red Arrows fly in from):

[​IMG]

Straight out to sea:

[​IMG]

Towards Teignmouth/Torquay:

[​IMG]

9. Lin1702

Lin1702 Member

Thanks Steve.

10. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

Every year we visit Dawlish and Dawlish Warren. We love the place!
    Visited Teignmouth last year and...well... I'll say nothing :0I

Beach and trains are what my 4 yr old love so the holiday camp right by the track was like heaven for my boy! 5 minn walk to the beach too.
    Great kids play thing in the town bit too.

Absolutely love the place :0)

11. Lin1702

Lin1702 Member

Awww, Teignmouth's lovely! I love the play park down by the beach!

12. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

The shots I posted in the exhibition lounge were from the Bristol display.

The weather was very iffy indeed, with strong winds and heavy showers blowing right acrosss the venue leading to the cancellation of all balloooning activity. However, the decision for the Arrows to "go" was made, and everything went well (apart from the fact the planes did their "thing" completely opposite to where I had expected them to be, often hidden by trees, a low hill or two, and an ice cream van. I thought I'd found the perfect posistion.......... until the show started! :eek: )

One thing I did notice was that if the weather does close in whilst the planes are performing, they have a backup routine for flying "flat"....... which should keep them in view of the audience.

Hope it turns out well for you!

13. John_Baker

I thought I had posted this earlier – sorry it is late…

I have had a quick chat with Richard & Steve and we have agreed that we will amend things slightly, we will meet at Buckfast Butterflies at 10:00 - I have spoken to the owner today, he is happy to let the party in for free! He has promised us lots of butterflies and they also have some interesting caterpillars at the moment – http://tinyurl.com/yvlw2w

We will monitor the weather and head back to Dawlish, rather than drop into the town we will possibly do the cliff top near the Smugglers Inn Pub at Holcombe - www.westcountrypubs.com/pubs/891/

If anyone wants to join us please feel free to meet us at Buckfast… I will be picking Steve up from Dawlish station at around 9:20...

14. Lucerne

Lucerne Member

Hi John

Thanks for organising our day out at the Dawlish Carnival Airshow and Buckfastleigh Butterfly Farm. It turned out to be a great day. I'm sure I speak for the whole group in saying we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Friendly company, hundreds of images captured, new camera settings tried out, lessons learned, and lots of digital image processing to look forward to.

G..

15. Lin1702

Lin1702 Member

Well, I went to Dawlish, I took photos... but most of them will be binned becasue they're out of focus!! If only those jets would slow down a bit for a piccy or 2, I'd be ok, lol!!

16. Lucerne

Lucerne Member

Sorry to hear that. It does take practice and we weren't on the seafront, but up on the hill to the right. I certainly didn't manage to track the jets in all areas of the sky. I haven't transferred or processed any of my images yet and I'm sure there will be quite a few out of focus. There's bound to be quite a few good images posted by our group and others that attended.

17. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

i will second that
    must admit i was feeling a bit nervous today being a complete novice to be meeting some obviously talented photographers, however i was made to feel more than at ease with a great bunch of guys, it has been a most enjoyable experience.

thank you

18. John_Baker

Thanks for the comments, I thoroughly enjoyed the day - It was a grand day out...
    Three final pics from the event

The Royal Jordanian Falcons
    [​IMG]

Boeing E3-D Sentry AEW1
    [​IMG]

Reds...
    [​IMG]

19. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

hey no2 got those vapour trail lines ;) :D

20. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Great day out, thanks John for organising. I uploaded the files last night and plan to edit them on the coach on the way to London today.